Auto Insurance Claims/medical claims release

Question
Good Morning,

We were in a head on crash 3 weeks ago where the other driver was at fault. We are in Colorado so our insurance company will pay $5000 each per law. The bills will exceed this and now the at fault driver's insurance company wants us to sign a medical release form so they can pay the excess bills. My husband is still going to physical therapy and I am still being treated too. My questions are these:1) If we sign release of information, does this give the insurance company the right to delve into ALL our medical history or just from the crash onwards? and 2) Does it make sense to sign and close the medical claim at this point? They said they will not pay bills till the case is closed, but  then won't the billers come after us for payment and possibly hurt our credit ?
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answer
(1)  depends on the terms of the medical records authorization.  You should read it to say what is says.  generally, you can specify a date period to authorize them to review, and can also often specify specific medical providers only.

(2)  If you are still treating, I would not recommend settling your claim.  I would wait to see how much the medical bills are and how long it takes to recover fully.  Part of the settlement should also include an amount for pain, suffering, and inconvenience - over and above the medical expenses.  If you have health insurance, they will cover your expenses while the settlement is pending.  If not, look into Medicaid.

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy