Auto Insurance Claims/Auto Accident

I had a rear end collision couple of months back and suffered considerable soft tissue injury as evidenced by MRI, long term physical therapy, chiropractic, trigger point injection etc.  

The last opinion from my doctor is that the lingering pain will continue for a long period and I need to continue exercises shown by the physical therapist and pain medication as needed.  

I have finally decided to settle the case and would give a try myself before involving any lawyer.  

Question :    In my first settlement offer to the (other party's) insurance,  should I ask for a specific settlement amount or ask for their best offer  and then go from there ?

Hmm. . . Kris, I answered this question already, but I got notice from AllExperts that it was still pending. . . so here's the answer again. . .

If you have a claim that is over $20000.00 then you should research the law regarding demands within policy limits.  The most well known that you can find is probably a "Stowers demand".  The gist of it is that if you make a reasonable demand that is within the limits and the carrier does not accept it, then if you sue and win more than the limits, the company is on the hook for the excess amount as punishment for not taking the reasonable demand.

If you don't know how much your claim is worth, how is the insurance company going to?  This is a fallacy of thinking in most victims (that the carrier knows the value of their claim).  Trust me, they have no idea what a jury will award, and do not know what type of person you are, so they cannot know the amount that is due you.  You should be reasonable and ask for the amount that will truly compensate you for the expenses, pain, and duress.  I hope this helps.

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty

Challenge me! I promise that I will provide you with the most honest answer I can muster, and I will base it on nearly 20 years of complex claims experience. My strength is shooting it straight and seeing through BS. I do not bluff and I can tell when somebody is. I've handled claims in almost every State in the U.S. and adjusted claims and consulted attorneys and CEO's on recovery and special claims tactics for over a decade. I am the founder and President of Petty Details, LLC. We provide the highest quality claim services to insurance companies, attorneys and individuals all exactly in the same way, by paying attention to the details and doing the right thing.

Nearly 20 years of combined claim company management, litigation, all lines adjusting, claim auditing, damage assessment, subrogation, small claims, tort recovery, collection, skip-tracing, tactical investigations, and contribution claim recovery experience across the United States of America.

NASP (National Association of Subrogation Professionals) (Auto Insurance Expert) Diminished Value Appraisers Group (LinkedIn)

10 years experience in writing and developing technical claims correspondence for litigation and unique scenarios at insurance companies and as a consultant to attorneys assisting with legal briefs and research. 42 published articles relating to auto insurance and claims. Self Published e-books entitled "How Much is My Injury Worth" and "Diminished Value - How Do I Get Paid?".

School of hard knocks, 3 years college, NO DEGREE, years of real world experience running a claims service company and adjusting claims for carriers. Speaks English and Spanish, Limited Portuguese & Italian.

Platinum Author ( All Lines Adjuster (TX, 1998 - 2008) TX Public Adjuster (2009 - 2011)

State Farm Insurance, Endeavor GA, MileMeter Ins., American Recreational Markets, Gainsco Ins. Co., Safeway Ins., Home State County Mutual Insurance, Old American County Mutual Insurance, FCCI, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual, and Pronto General Agency, LTD just to name a few! On top of insurance companies and attorneys, I have personally helped thousands of accident victims with the difficult and stressful process of navigating their claim to a successful resolution.