Auto Insurance Claims/Auto Accident settlement

Question
Hi

I had a rear end collision couple of months back and suffered considerable soft tissue injury as evidenced by MRI, long term physical therapy, chiropractic, trigger point injection etc.  

The last opinion from my doctor is that the lingering pain will continue for a long period and I need to continue exercises shown by the physical therapist and pain medication as needed.  

I have finally decided to settle the case and would give a try myself before involving any lawyer.  

Question :    In my first settlement offer to the (other party's) insurance,  should I ask for a specific settlement amount or ask for their best offer  and then go from there ?

Answer
The negotiation is a process.  There is usually some back and forth.  The insurer's first offer will probably be  at the bottom end of their settlement value range.  So you can probably get their best offer around the third number they extend.  Your first demand should be the top end of your range, and then you drop back some.  Hopefully you meet in the middle.

I will comment on a couple of items you mentioned.  Soft tissue injuries are muscle strains.  That is all they are.  They are never permanent.  They get worse the first 24-72 hours and then start to heal.  They normally resolve 100% in anywhere from a few days to a few months, depending on severity.  Unless there is a structural problem with a disc or the vertebrae, the pain should not linger long term.  Trigger point injections are highly controversial and some "medical providers" use them excessively and charge exorbitant fees to do so.  there is an entire industry built around making money off car accidents.  So you may find the insurance adjuster views this differently than you.  And the insurers know what happens when these cases go to trial, because they have plenty of experience with it.

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy