Auto Insurance Claims/Removing an Insured driver?

Hello Jane,

I am currently insured with Geico for my auto policy. I have been with them for almost a year now, and I am currently paying $270 a month for me and my current girlfriend who does not live with me, nor has she ever. I put her on my insurance about a year and a half ago so she can be a driver if needed. She has had a few minor accidents under her belt and which raised my insurance up $500 for a 6 month policy. I want to remove her from my policy and geico is saying that they need proof of other insurance, which they want an ID card, or policy number. This is my policy which I added her as a driver to my car, she does not have a car. I don't see why I can't remove her from my policy. Any insight would be nice. Thank you.

Hi Zach,

This is a question for someone with insurance agency expertise, and, specifically, someone with a knowledge of Massachusetts law.  My best guess is that if your girlfriend is removed from your policy the insurance company has to notify the state.  If Massachusetts is like Florida, cancellation of a policy without proof of other coverage results in a license suspension.

Check with your agent, if you have one, or contact your state insurance department.  They might actually have something online that could answer your question.

Good luck,

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel

I can answer questions related to auto accidents, auto damage, auto theft claims, or personal injury claims. I am specifically suited to answer questions concerning insurance investigations and the effects of those investigations such as claim delays, claim denials, examinations under oath, or the special investigations unit. I can answer most any question that relates to proper claims investigations, or claims handling procedures and processes. I have authored several ebooks which provide claim guidance for consumers. Those books are available on Amazon Kindle: Power To Profit - will provide you with the knowledge you need to overcome the patterned obstacles that insurance companies will use to delay, devalue, or deny your valid insurance claim. The No Nonsense Guide to Accident Settlement - Teaches you how to manage your claim, how to identify the precise tactics likely to be used against you, and how you must respond.

12 years of experience with 3 major insurance companies. I hold an all lines adjusters license in Florida. I am well versed in claims handling, claims investigations, and industry standards related to both. The bulk of my experience stems from my 10 years as a police officer / detective. Building on that investigative experience, I became an SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Investigator. Accordingly, my unique expertise lies in the investigation of claims. What is necessary and related, what is not necessary and related? What constitutes a fair claims investigation? What recourse is available for consumers who suspect they are experiencing unfair claims delays? During the course of my experience, I became a certified trainer, instructing adjusters and investigators proper techniques for claims investigation and claims handling.

B.A., Communications, University of Miami 350 credit hours of intense investigative training, Miami Dade Police 80 hours of investigative training, various Federal Agencies, Miami, Fl Intensive Accident Reconstruction and Pedestrian Injury Analysis, NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, Oklahoma City, OK 2 weeks Auto Damage Appraisal, Winston Salem, NC Legal Principles Claim Specialist, AEI