You are here:

Auto Insurance Claims/DV claim for out of state accident


Hello Charlie,
My 2015 Avalon Ltd with 8700 miles was rear ended in Penn Valley, Pa on 5/21/16.  It was subsequently repaired by a Toyota certified shop in Northern Virginia where I live at a total cost of $5978 that was paid by my collision insurance.  I need to file a DV claim with the other party’s insurer.  Can I use a local DV specialist or must I seek out one in PA?
Thanks for your help,
Bill C.


You can do either one, but I prefer to perform a physical inspection of the vehicle so I can note the changes brought about by the damage repairs, such as missing Federal Anti-Theft Standard labels with the VIN on the parts replaced, paint film thickness of repaired and/or blended panels. So I would chose an appraiser in your area to do the work. If the case does go to court, and I doubt it will, you will have to pay your appraiser to come to either the jurisdiction of the at-fault party or where the loss took place, so that may be a consideration. But I'd go with a local person.

Hope this helps,


Auto Insurance Claims

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Charlie Barone


For questions involving auto damage claims, collision repair, forensics, industry practices, we can help. We specialize in claims for loss of resale value (Diminished Value).


I have 30 years experience in the collision repair and body reconstruction field, both hands-on and from behind the desk. I hold a Master Certification from ASE in the Body and Paint category, as well as their certification in Estimating. I have authored over 120 feature and training articles for the largest trade journal devoted to the collision repair industry, and have given expert testimony in court dozens of times. Licensed physical damage appraiser in Pennsylvania and reciprocal states.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]