Auto Insurance Claims/Suspended registration due to insurance company negligence

Question
Hello Justin.

While I know that my question is not related to claims, i am hoping that you can help me out.

I purchased my vehicle three months ago and the insurance company put the wrong VIN on the documents and the DMV suspended my registration. For three months I was in contact with my insurance company to get this resolved and was told by my agent on multiple times that he had corrected the VIN and that I need not worry about the DMV's notices. Turns out, my agent, or the insurance company, had been negligent about the whole ordeal and started putting the blame on each other. Currently, my insurance agent is working on getting my registration reinstated. My question though, since after this is delt with, will I have a difficult time finding inexpensive auto insurance due to this fiasco?

Thank you for any help. Jared C

Answer
With the disclaimer that this is not legal advice. . . here's the answer:

No, your search for insurance should not be affected by having the registration suspension.  I would also have to make the point that you would need to define "inexpensive".  If your rate goes up at all, can you identify why?  Will the insurance company's underwriting department disclose to you the basis for their rating of your premium charge?

It seems you are worried that the government and insurance companies have some ability to work outside of the law.

If you maintained financial responsibility (paid for auto insurance), and your insurance company is not purposely defrauding you by claiming you did not, then there is no problem, regardless of what the DMV "enforcers" believe.  Focus your energy on making sure your insurance company admits to their mistake in writing so that you can prove you did not violate AZ's automobile financial responsibility laws.

If you run into any problem or suffer any financial consequences because of the mistake the insurance company made, find an attorney fast.

I hope this helps. . .

Justin

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty