Auto Insurance Claims/RV water damage

I have a 10 year old StarCraft expandable camper. Last year, we noticed our floor was "squishy" in the back of the camper. We took it into the shop and they determined that a leaky pipe caused rot in the subfloor. Our insurance covered the repair. They said they would not have covered it if the water came in through the roof or floor. Only pipe leakage was covered.
This year on the camper's first outing, we discovered the same "squishy" floor, this time in the front of the camper. The shop determined that the rot came from the hot water heater. Insurance refused to cover it, stating the leak was a slow pipe leak (just as the last one was) and they only covered "fast" leaks. This is the same company and same policy. Are they correct in refusing me? If they should be covering this, is there any sort of an advocacy group for things like this?

Sorry for the delay, I was out of the office for a bit at court.  Anyway, so accidental discharge is typically covered, but maintenance items are not covered.  These are tricky claims.  I could surely guide you on whether or not the claim is covered, but I would have to see the policy you have and at the very least discuss the details of how the leak happened.  Most of the time, nobody really knows exactly how the leak occurred, so it is easy for them (insurance) to just claim it is something that is not covered, and then you have to prove the cause was something that was covered.

Advocacy group. . . I wish.  I am about as close as you will get to that . . .

Justin Petty

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty

Challenge me! I promise that I will provide you with the most honest answer I can muster, and I will base it on nearly 20 years of complex claims experience. My strength is shooting it straight and seeing through BS. I do not bluff and I can tell when somebody is. I've handled claims in almost every State in the U.S. and adjusted claims and consulted attorneys and CEO's on recovery and special claims tactics for over a decade. I am the founder and President of Petty Details, LLC. We provide the highest quality claim services to insurance companies, attorneys and individuals all exactly in the same way, by paying attention to the details and doing the right thing.

Nearly 20 years of combined claim company management, litigation, all lines adjusting, claim auditing, damage assessment, subrogation, small claims, tort recovery, collection, skip-tracing, tactical investigations, and contribution claim recovery experience across the United States of America.

NASP (National Association of Subrogation Professionals) (Auto Insurance Expert) Diminished Value Appraisers Group (LinkedIn)

10 years experience in writing and developing technical claims correspondence for litigation and unique scenarios at insurance companies and as a consultant to attorneys assisting with legal briefs and research. 42 published articles relating to auto insurance and claims. Self Published e-books entitled "How Much is My Injury Worth" and "Diminished Value - How Do I Get Paid?".

School of hard knocks, 3 years college, NO DEGREE, years of real world experience running a claims service company and adjusting claims for carriers. Speaks English and Spanish, Limited Portuguese & Italian.

Platinum Author ( All Lines Adjuster (TX, 1998 - 2008) TX Public Adjuster (2009 - 2011)

State Farm Insurance, Endeavor GA, MileMeter Ins., American Recreational Markets, Gainsco Ins. Co., Safeway Ins., Home State County Mutual Insurance, Old American County Mutual Insurance, FCCI, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual, and Pronto General Agency, LTD just to name a few! On top of insurance companies and attorneys, I have personally helped thousands of accident victims with the difficult and stressful process of navigating their claim to a successful resolution.