Auto Parts/1969 Buick Riviera Fuel Pump

ken wrote at 2012-07-13 06:13:20
the 1970 rivi gs do have an electric fuel pump i had the same problem no fuel ended up breakin the wire off the top of the sendin unit thinkin it was suppose to pop off nope wrong  oil what i found out was that when the oil pressure/fuel cut off switch sense that the oil pressure is low it cut the power to the fuel pump i found that out by searchin online so what i did was find the switch on the right side of the block behind the oil filter unplug it and i got power back to the fuse to the fuel pump they say those switches go bad so replace that or bypass and put a oil gauge in and u should be fine thats what im goin to do it took me 2 hours to figure this all out my first 70 rivi gs u can email me at hope this help u guys out  

don wrote at 2014-11-16 16:30:36
yes the 1969 buick rivera DID have a in tank electric fuel pump, that item is no longer available thru g.m. or aftermarket parts companies the pump is powered up by the oil pressure switch located on the front of the block on the passenger side, easy to see  and replace.  if the car sets for a while and the carb drains fuel the pump will NOT power up until their is oil pressure (over) 10 to 15 lbs.  this does cause a problem for those who only drive once and a while.  this may be the reason g.m went back to the mechanical pump in later cars.  there is a way to fix this prob, but not enough time to put that repair on this site.  e-mail me if you have any questions.  don

Auto Parts

Mike Evans

Auto repair and parts questions on any year or make including older and foreign makes(MG and DeSoto, for example)

30 years as an auto parts counterman and parts manager, both wholesale and retail

B.A. in english, minor in physics