Auto Parts/car battery

Do you extend the battery life by keeping it fully charged by frequently charging it with a battery charger ?

Hi there! That method doesn't really work, it is more of a myth. Here are some useful tips for you.

1. Keep the battery terminals clean and inspect regularly (i.e. monthly) for corrosion.

2. Start the car before operating car accessories and operate (drive) the car to allow the battery to get topped off by the car alternator which produces electricity and as a by-product charges the car battery after voltage drops in the battery.

3. Keep the battery secure and free from vibration. Batteries that shake can become damaged and short circuited or worse cause damage to your car.

4. Insulate the battery from extreme temperature changes with a car battery insulation kit. These usually come with new cars already, however you can find replacements specifically made to fit your carís battery compartment. The sleeves are usually plastic or an acid resistant/thermal resistant material that insulates your battery but still allows it to vent.

5. Invest in a car battery charger that will maintain an optimum charge level when your car is not in use or when you go on vacation.

One last recommendation:

Check the car battery water level indicator on a regular basis! Most car batteries will indicate if it needs more water. It may never require water, but if so only use distilled water.

Hope that helps,
Cheers, Harry

Auto Parts

I'm able to answer any kind of car accessories and auto parts related questions. I have been working in car manufacturing area for more then 15 years. If I'm not able to answer a question I can make a quick research and provide the best answer I can.

I have solid experience of car manufacturer and parts promotion. During my long career I have worked for 3 different companies, which makes my knowledge more diversified. You can ask me any kind of car accessories, tools or gadgets questions.

University of Manchester - 2001