Auto Racing/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
power10/23/2016Adam
  Q: I'm new to F-1 and wonder why some cars have more powerful engines/horsepower than other cars. Isn't ...
  A: my apologies, my email has changed and I just received your question. The answer is that they ...
A Few Vintage Photos2/2/2016Adam
  Q: I stumbled upon these three black & white framed photos that seem to feature vintage F1 racing.Could ...
  A: I have a new email and just saw your question. The lower picture is Graham Hill's BRM P-261, a race ...
Unable to identify type of vehicle suspension10/17/2015Matt Lyons
  Q: and thank you for being willing to answer questions. As you will see from the attached image, a ...
  A: The picture is rather small, but I will take a stab at it and say it is of the double a-arm type ...
Supercharger7/4/2013Matt Lyons
  Q: Want to enquire on supercharger. How do I determine the right size for the driven pulley. How and ...
  A: I suggest you speak with the tech dept of the supercharger manufacturer you intend to use. Each unit ...
Details5/21/2013Adam
  Q: Hai sir, Iam Hari prasath(19 years) .I need to become a top racer in the Universe , but I don't ...
  A: As you may guess, I get asked this question quite a lot! Please therefore see my previous answers on ...
formula one5/12/2013Adam
  Q: I'm new to formula one and had a few easy questions for you, if you don't mind... Are drivers ...
  A: Yes, blocking is not allowed in race or practice. In the race, a driver is allowed to make one ...
F14/27/2013Adam
  Q: I'm new to F1, don't know much about it. But when someone is penalized in the qualifying rounds and ...
  A: Usually, they are starting in the pitlane as they have had some mishap that needs addressing, hence ...
More horse power4/24/2013Matt Lyons
  Q: Matt, I have a: chevy 350 late style roller cam block with full round seal. 9:73 hypereutectic ...
  A: Can you tell me what vehicle this is going into, what trans, stall speed, rear gear ratio and tire ...
welded diff. and set up2/8/2013Dan Liddy
  Q: Dan how well will a welded diff work in a FWD neon? will it help my understeer? what will help the ...
  A: I believe a welded diff will make it totally impossible to drive, If anything it will increase yoru ...
Getting started very late in racing.11/19/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: First off I'm 24 years old, I have followed racing on my own since I was 17 and no one in my family ...
  A: ) Your best bet would be to join your local district of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Go ...
Auto racing danger11/7/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: 1. What is the danger of racing from the mechinacal aspect? 2. Is the danger of racing increase or ...
  A: Racing danger comes from extreme high speeds, and the risk of collisions with other objects. Things ...
Girls In Rally Racing10/3/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: Hey,I'm Lauren I'm 18 I Really Like Rally And I Was Wondering How Hard Is It For A Girl To Get In To ...
  A: We welcome girls to our sport(s) and I'm sure the rally folks do also. Contact the Sports Car Club ...
prelude 1/4 mile asphalt pushing like dump truck8/30/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: I have a 94 prelude I have just put all new ball joints , bushings, brakes ext on. I am running 1 ...
  A: I would try for 5 Deg. pos. caster on the RF (the upper pivot is to the rear of the lower ball ...
Direction for aspiring mechanic in motorsport8/27/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: Hey Dan, I am extremely interested in motorsport and really appreciate all your help. I have ...
  A: Since you seem to have read some of my other comments already I won't beat them to death . Arguably ...
Fwd race set up8/7/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: Im running a 97 Grand am Fwd on a high banked paved oval. I'm looking for some tips and a good basic ...
  A: See if you can find this book: "How To Make Your Car Handle By Fred Puhn, it's old and dated and ...
Rear Differential Weld?7/28/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: Do you know if welding the rear differential is legal in autocross? I'd like to be able to practice ...
  A: Welding a differential is an ancient way of 'locking' it so it can't differentiate. It does ...
Rally Racing Start7/24/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: I am 16 years old, live in the middle of Missouri, and I am interested in getting into rally racing. ...
  A: I can only give you partial answers. I am not involved with rally racing , when I was your age (50 ...
Money7/22/2012Adam
  Q: my name is Dylan, I have been planning to start 4-cylinder racing when I am 16 or so. I have planned ...
  A: I think the budget you require is really dependent on the level you want to compete at. You are ...
Starting a racing career at a young age7/15/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: Hey! I am 15 years old, and I have been interested in cars since I was very young (at 6 months!), ...
  A: You should still look at Karting, and I'm sure the Dallas area has plenty of opportunity for young ...
How to start my career in racing?7/8/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: I am almost 14 and my dream is to have a career in racing. I know almost everything about every ...
  A: Start with Go Karts, join World Karting Association (Google it!) and find the tracks close to you . ...
getting started on your carer in cars6/26/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: I am young but I have a passion for cars like custom cars, and mechanics, even at my age do you no ...
  A: I will TRY to help you, though I am in America, you know, that place across the pond where all those ...
How can I be good at karting6/15/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: I will play karting for the first time. I feel anxious even though the maximum speed is only 40mph. ...
  A: Yes: Please take it EASY. You will not win a race the first few times out, Go out, try to go ...
5.7 engines compatability for building6/6/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: i have a 93 and a 96 5.7 engines both out of trucks the 96 is a vortec and id like to know if either ...
  A: Both engines can be "built up" into the 6-700 horsepower range by a professional engine builder. ...
DREM COME TRUE.RACING CAREER5/12/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: I STAY IN DETROIT I LOVE WORKING ON CARS I'M 18 AND I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO START MY DREAM RACING ...
  A: Find the local stock car track in the Detroit area, and start attending races. Be sure to buy the ...
engine build4/24/2012Matt Lyons
  Q: It's me again Matt. I seek your advise based on your vast experience on engine building. For my ...
  A: First make sure to torque the caps in steps. If 60ft/lbs is the goal, start by torquing all the caps ...
engine bearing caps4/24/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: It's me again Dan. I seek your advise based on your vast experience on engine building. For my ...
  A: I apologize for the delay, I was out of the country (to Brazil) for a few days, and just returned. ...
Valve seats4/5/2012Matt Lyons
  Q: hope to get some tips from you about getting more engine horse-power by correctly cutting valve ...
  A: Valve angles have a significant effect on flow when matched to the proper cylinder head design. ...
Stroking a 4.3L V64/3/2012Matt Lyons
  Q: Since, the bore and stroke are the same on 4.3L V6 as the 350, is it possible to up stroke it like a ...
  A: A quick internet search on this subject would reveal that several race teams have developed this ...
Chevy 3.1/31002/22/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: I race FWD cavaliers/berettas and was wondering if you have any tips on how to discreetly squeeze ...
  A: Discreetly ? Do you mean in spite of the rules ? Most racing associations are poorly equipped ...
Starting a Career in Rally or RallyCross2/9/2012Dan Liddy
  Q: my name is Andy Zai and I am fifteen years old. I would love to become a Rally racer. It is my ...
  A: I hope this helps. Join the Sports car Club of America . Go to www.SCCA.org, look around for your ...
Racing career12/20/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: I'm 18 years old and I live in Iceland, a country where there are no racetracks and lacks ...
  A: Well, you have several problems. The first is your location. If there's nothing happening in ...
haeders10/20/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: I have a 83 cj7 with a chevy 350 & 5 speed trany. Right now it has stubby headers and I wish to put ...
  A: There are almost always custom hot-rod shops available , and certainly there should be some in your ...
basic concepts for rear spoiler9/1/2011Matt Lyons
  Q: I have a rear spoiler mounted on my race car, set at about 14 degrees. The height of the spoiler is ...
  A: A rear spoiler's main purpose is to provide downforce on the rear of the vehicle. maximum achieved ...
Camshaft timing8/29/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: Mr. Liddy, I have asked several questions previously and received very good answers from you. I now ...
  A: I've forgotten which engine we're working upon, so the subject I raise first may be "chain lash" or ...
Ignition distributor8/18/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: I read in a magazine recently that the ultimate distributor for tuning racing engines (gasoline) do ...
  A: I'm a little vague on this myself. The vacuum advance works to gradually advance timing as the ...
CASTER ON HONDA8/1/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: i have a honda crx stock car, 1/3 mile oval. i was checking the caster and the wheelbase front front ...
  A: I strongly recommend you get a book, "How To Make Your Car Handle" by Fred Puhn It's a bit dated but ...
Engine build8/1/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: I am an amateur racing driver, driving a Mini Cooper 1275 cc, just for pleasure. I have been ...
  A: If you must use a wrench or spanner to turn the engine, it would probably be wise to take a good ...
rally career?7/30/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: I am 20yrs old and very interested in starting a career in rally racing. I am attending UTI now and ...
  A: Yes, Though I know almost nothing about rally, I do know that it is more popular in the north than ...
4 cylinder class7/25/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: I have an 87 honda prelude 2.0 si we are suppose to be a stock class that races on dirt but there ...
  A: The porting and polishing was probably a waste of time and money. Some work on a flow bench might ...
Engine starting7/22/2011Dan Liddy
  Q: I find difficulty starting my first ever self-built racing engine, to be installed into a British ...
  A: I'm going to forward your question to a friend with years of experience with Mini's and Sprites. My ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Auto Racing

Matt Lyons

Top Expert on this page