Auto Theft Prevention/1999 Ford Explorer not starting, no theft light

Question
QUESTION: I have what began as a random problem with my '99 Explorer XLT.  Approximately once per week the vehicle would turn over, appearing to start but die immediately.  After a few tries, it would seem as if it was out of fuel.  After towing it to my mechanic, it immediately started and ran fine for days.  It would also seem to fix itself if left sitting for half a day or so.  I noticed that each time the failure occurred, that the theft light turned off and stayed off.  These intervals when it would start got shorter and shorter until now when it hasn't started for six days.  The theft light is off and never blinks or lights up with the other dash lights when turning on the ignition.  I wouldn't mind just disabling the theft system. Is there any was I can do this, or a systematic way to troubleshoot the problem?  The mechanics I have consulted are waiting for a code to come up on their computer to tell them what to do and I no longer think that will happen. I am pretty much out of ideas and seriously thinking about junking it.
Thanks,
Bill

ANSWER: Hello,

The fact the light does not come on at all the PATS is not functioning and will not start. I question if even my bypass which I did 10/10/2000 and was replicated by peers in many Ford trucks and SUVs (100% of the time) with a consensus my bypass of this junk was valid. The problem is that it will work on a fully functioning PATS with the light flashing rapidly.
My bypass was never meant for people to use to bypass for the system. The purpose was a court case to prove Ford deceived the public on the 1997-2004 security effectiveness of the PATS.

In your case, if bypassed, the minute the light does not work, the engine will not start because the light is part of the working PATS.

These had problems with instrument panel printed circuit boards and if you can find a used instrument cluster, it may take care of the problem.
You can also remove the connector between the fire wall and the engine area. Clean with brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and use die electric grease before putting the connecter together as well as check all dash grounds.

I wish you good luck and if I can help you further, let me know.

The bypass for this junk to a tremendous amount of research, but now I have it to a science which is very simple. Check the location of the PCM Power relay under the hood in the owners manual. Once the driver's side inner fender relay panel cover is lifted up, look for the relay (#4 or #5) don't remember anymore, you will see only one rely with a black diode in front of it. Remove the relay by pulling upward. Pry plastic cover up with small screwdriver. Take a plastic tie wrap and tighten the points together. Cut the excess of the tie wrap. Reinstall cover and then relay. Close cover. When you start, theft light will flash rapidly and system is bypassed as long as system is functioning. Take a piece of black electrical tape and put over theft light.

A Note as it Relates to the East Coast Sandy disaster

Look at what is happening in New York and New Jersey because of Sandy. No power-houses unlivable-no food- no vehicle, but possibly you see a 4x4 truck you can grab to get your family out. You can't take it though because you don't have the keys needed or knowledge of how to defeat the system and then the steering column. This is serious stuff! Think about it. No power, no protection against crime. Sure, maybe you have a gun or two, but chances of that in that area because of the gun laws is probably nil too, so you and you family has no police protection for gangs and bad guys to run rampant.

I am going to be placing information on how to steal these vehicles for emergencies such as this. I am an expert in theft and do tactical training.
Contact me at robo14@aol.com and we can set you up for the next time. No one ever thinks of times like Katrina, Joplin or now the East coast and we are seeing how many people don't even store water. They don't even know how to get gas for their generators only to wait until the station runs out of gas!

We will be selling this information to be easily memorized by model. If you were one of those people, wouldn't you have been glad if you planned ahead?

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: Thanks very much for your fast and thoughtful response. I've been trying to remember the exact sequence that I experienced. As I recall, initially the theft light was blinking normally before trying to start the vehicle.  Then it went dark upon turning the key in the ignition. It would stay dark for some period, then come back on and then the vehicle would start.  The last time I tried it was the same except the theft light has not come back on.  I disconnected the battery this morning and will leave it all day in hopes that it may reboot the system and the light will come back on. I hope to check the electrical connections as you suggest if the rain stops later today. Do you have any ideas where to look for a used instrument cluster or what Ford's name for the part might be?
Thanks,
Bill

Answer
Hello,

You cannot buy from dealer (or probably can't afford to if you add up all the components). You need an instrument cluster known also as an IP. A/K/A the speedo cluster assembly. Shouldn't cost too much. I can buy a door assembly for my 1999 Suburban for $75 to put things in context. The printed circuit for the light would fry, however I am looking more at a ground or power connection because you state it is intermittent. You could just bypass the thing and see if it still starts when the light does not go on. That would be cool and you can always undo the bypass.

Good Luck Buddy!

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI