Auto Theft Prevention/2002 Mercury Cougar PATS transceiver

Question
Hello again, Rob.
After I recommended you the system is now preventing me from asking any more questions. Consequently, I must renew my issue.

In response to my last, you wrote:
"Look in your owners manual for PCM power relay. Once found, remove the relay and it's cover. Tie wrap the points together. Install cover and reinstall relay.
I forgot, Ford was playing games with the location of the relay after I defeated this junk in 2000."

As you suggested, I looked in the manual and find only the following:
Relays called out in Owner’s Manual:
R2  – Engine Management
R7  - Starter
R16 - Ignition

Which of these would you suspect is the relay I'm looking for?

Thanks again.
Bob

Answer
Hi Bob,

Please excuse me, I am dealing with a 2002 Ranger at the same time and did not relize I answered your question and not thiers.

Here is my original answer to you stating the bypass only worked on trucks & SUVs and not on the cars.

QUESTION: Hello Rob.

Sure hope you can help here as I'm retired and can't just go out and buy another car.

I have a somewhat intermittant problem in that after my 2002 Mercury Cougar V6/5-speed sits for a few days, it generally will not start on the 1st attempt. It may take as many as 30 to 50 tries before it starts and runs.

After diagnosis, Ford tells me it could be the PATS transceiver mounted at the ignition lock assembly. Unfortunately, it is obsolete and no longer available.
I've removed the transceiver to get the part number, which is 98BP-15607-AB.

BTW, at Ford's advice, I had them replace the battery a week ago. Still no good.

Is there a way to bypass the PATS on a temporary basis so I can positively determine if it is indeed the transceiver (I do have 2 keys)? If it turns out the transceiver is truly bad, I'll probably have to hunt down a replacement from a bone-yard.

Any advice you may give me will be greatly appreciated.

Bob Mahon

ANSWER: Hello Bob,

The bad news is that the cars were set up completely different than the trucks and SUVs I bypassed. Instead of having a relay, cars had a relay module and I never even bothered pursuing that.

As for the transceiver (Antenna) on Ford products, they do fail and won't read the key. There is not much to it made of plastic with coiled wire inside with a tiny p/c board.
Junk yards will sell the steering column but not one piece from the steering column.
I understand your dilemma with me being on a fixed income with disability.
Ford is also notorious for discontinuing electronics after a year.
I am curious though because there has never been anything specific to these transceivers between models and I wonder if you compared your transceiver to one that they stocked, if that would not work.

Part numbers may be different for the same part only because listed only for a specific application. I ran into this commonly and had to research many parts individually to see they were exactly the same, but their parts book would list for a specific model.

Check Ebay and Craigs list. You might very well find one cheaper than what Ford offers.

I just hope that the problem is the transceiver because Ford PATS is also notorious for loss of memory in their computers on an intermittent basis.

In my opinion, this junk should have never been installed from the factory because of its lack of reliability. Ford PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System), never designed to prevent theft. It was installed like all the other manufacturers to pacify the insurance companies in order for them to deny all theft claims with these systems.

Try my suggestions and see if they assist you.

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

The only thing I would tell you to do is go junk yard shopping or find out what your transceiver swaps with. Mustang might be the same and if its in the PCM, you will need to interchange with a vehicle with the same engine.

You can try the option of going to an Ace hardware and having them make a new key because this key can be cloned and see if that fixes your issues.

I truly wish you the best on this. By making this garbage, the manufacturer knew after time that it would be a throw away car.

Bypassing the relay (because there is not a separate relay on the cars is almost impossible to do because the cars employ a relay module for different functions.

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI