Auto Theft Prevention/2001 windstar pats issue

Question
I'll be honest... I never have paid any attention to the theft system on this van. Never figured it for much of a system because who would steal a friggin minivan. I was recently performing a repair to the van and as always I removed the battery. In the middle of my repair I was called away by the wife and didn't get back to it until days later. After the repair (radiator), I went to start the vehicle. I got the theft light and can't start my van. I tried both keys, removed the battery and hooked it back up. The starter turns over but the engine won't fire. I called the dealership and these clowns started saying... The tow bill. Plus a new PCM plus programming, plus diagnostics would cost close to 400 dollars.... FOR A 2001 WINDSTAR? There has to be a way for this to be bypassed or fixed. I was performing the repair cause I can't afford the dealership or repair shop prices. I don't want to junk the van. Its a racket. It's BS. Can you tell me if I have any other choice?

Answer
Hello,

The best thing to do is start calling around to locksmiths and see who has the equipment to program the keys for Fords. Most automotive locksmiths have this equipment.

What happened was because the battery was disconnected, the key programming memory was lost. The locksmith comes to you and is substantially cheaper to do the process.
The dealer is only a middle man for locks and keys as is the locksmith. The manufacturers don't make locks and keys and this is all subbed out to other vendors.

You cannot bypass because your attempt to start the engine has placed the system in the trigger mode. Yes, this like all others referred to as anti theft were never designed to prevent theft. These systems were just a headache for the owner.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

The pillars of truth in insurance SIU auto theft investigations.

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI