Auto Theft Prevention/2005 durango

i have a 2005 dodge durango, i lost the key to crank it. i had to buy another, in the mean time someone tried to steal it an did very lil damage. the locksmith made the key work an tried to crank it before puttin in code, when he did, it shut it down an would not take the code. threw all of this we end up finding out u have to reset the security system, the dealership told me how to reset it , but it was not the right way. i have paid alot of money for the key an can not pay a shop to. is there any way i can do it myself, or wid someones help

It sounds like the locksmith you used did not have a DRB III or after market D.A.R.T or other programmer to reset the system.
Once the engine has been cranked 4 times, the only thing left is to get the computer reprogramed and you cannot do that without the equipment.

You state there was minor damage from the attempt theft. Directly in front of the ignition lock under the shroud is a part known as a transceiver. This is the antenna that sends the key signal to the computer. If that is in any way damaged, the chip in the key cannot be read and the part must be replaced before any programming for the engine too start.
The only option you have is either have a locksmith with the proper key programming equipment or the vehicle must go back to the dealer for them to set the system with a DRB programmer or if newer a programmer with a calculator.

I don't know what the dealer you contacted told you as to how to reset the system, but whatever, it simply will nt work.

Good luck!

About our services:

We have become more innovated in our services assisting insured’s in their auto theft claims. We are fighting these claims investigations for our clients from a far more powerful angle that just offering expert witness services in auto theft. We are given the authorization to represent the insured under a Power of Attorney. This event gives you the potential of getting a resolution to your theft claim far quicker, than any attorney can do.

Auto theft claims are handled far different than long ago. The vehicle was reported stolen and within 30 days, the claim was paid. Now, the investigation units believe or at least appear to, that all vehicles are virtually impossible to steal, because of the so-called factory anti-theft systems equipped on the vehicles. The insurance companies use certified forensic locksmiths to analyze the ignition lock and key. The reports generated by them infer insured involvement with the statement “the vehicle was last driven with a key of the proper type, no matter what methodology they may use for the day. Hence, in the carrier’s eyes, this “independent” forensic report will be just the tool they need o go on a which hunt of the insured’s finances (even with a 850 credit score) and they will manufacturer a case against the insured, even though the insured had no involvement with the theft of the car.
There are many very interesting twists and turns and the insured’s life has the potential of being altered forever. The first and worst thought in these civil investigations, is to retain an attorney that knows absolutely nothing about the mechanics of the investigation process. If you review our site, you will see some real good inside information as to how these claims progress, that insurance companies do not appreciate being shared to the public. In my case, I have 23 years working with, training with the SIUs and commonly know what they are going to do before they do it. I have hundreds of hours of sworn testimony and can prep an insured for an EUO (Examination Under Oath). This experience also covers close to 20 years of bad faith claims experience and 30 years as being an expert in auto theft with the actual experience in repairing stolen vehicles. Something that most CFLs lack. Hiring an attorney during the investigation phase is sealing the insured’s fate for years before the case is even heard in court. Insurance defense attorneys are grest for planting the seed that the vehicle is impossible to steal to a jury, and it is difficult for a plaintiff attorney to recover from that.

Some manufacturers have not been honest with the consumer and referring to their system as anti theft and yet the system by design was never meant to prevent theft.

The service we offer is very unique and changes the paradigm of the status quo. Our clients give us a tremendous amount of power now in all 50 states and in Canada, where we are not licensed attorneys and never give that impression, however we can have many of the same powers afforded to them when we are representing the insured under a Power of Attorney in civil issues.
No matter where you are at in the claims investigation, whether it is your first interview, your EUO or denial, there is only one place that you will get a firm with the knowledge and the tenacity for the truth and that is A&R Forensic Auto Lab LLC or

We are the 800 pound gorilla in the room and we know every aspect of the misleading forensic lock exams performed by these CFLs that are enrichened by the insurance carrier.

If you get the feeling during the SIU claims investigation that the carrier is accusing you of the theft, guess what? They are!
It is so very interesting that in many of these claims, towing, pushing or pulling is ruled out with no reason other than it was assumed fact that the vehicle was driven from the theft scene.  

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI

My background in auto theft is extensive. I have been directly involved in the repair of over 10,000 theft recovered vehicles. I also do insurance investigation as to how a vehicle was last operated. My clients are insurance companies and attorneys. Was featured in the A & E auto theft documentary "Stealing Wheels" July 26, 2000. Has consulted with Daimler Chrysler steering column engineers to make their steering columns harder to defeat. Holds patent # 6,039,140 for 8 different variations to protect air bags from theft.

ROB PAINTER, ASE, CFL, CFEI Forensic Vehicle Component Analyst Diplomate, Board Certified Forensic Examiner ASE Certified Auto, Collision, Med/Hvy/Duty Truck Technician Certified Forensic Locksmith Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator Certified Forensic Auto Theft Examiner Certified Auto Theft and Fraud Expert P.O. Box 190 Big Bend, WI 53103 Phone (414) 698-9696 Fax (262) 662-1352 As per federal court rules of evidence (702) (Daubert) my testimony has qualified me as: Auto Theft and Fraud Expert Forensic Vehicle Analyst Fire Origin and Cause Expert In the trial transcript of Holiday vs Progressive Insurance Company (March 12, 2002?Eugene, Oregon) with Holiday being my client-named ?the expert for experts.? BUSINESS EXPERIENCE Founder of the ?Forensic Institute of Auto Theft Analysis? (January 2002). This is the training school that will set the standards in determining the last operation of a reported stolen vehicle-burned or unburned. Much of my testing and procedures have been accepted as the guide for the forensic community. 1986 opened Auto Recovery Specialists Inc., providing exclusive repair of theft recovered and vandalized vehicles. The initial concept of the business was to return vehicles to their original shape before the theft, vandalism or fire. In 1987 bought the rights to the theft deterrent known as the ?Chicago Collar?. Duties include complete component replacement: dash, stereo system, interior, locks and coding, rebuilding steering columns, repairing and installing vehicle security system components (factory and after market), engine components, body repair, glass replacement, repair and service of air conditioning components, brake and suspension repair, and replacement, wiring harnesses etc. to return vehicle to pre-theft condition Complete reconstruction. During the past 17 years directly involved in the repair of over 10,000 theft-recovered and fire damaged Personally examined and rebuilt thousands of steering columns on both import and domestic vehicles Internationally acknowledged as expert in auto theft including court, consulting with insurance companies, attorneys and law enforcement. Consultant on steering columns, locks, stereo systems and vehicle security for Special Investigation Units for many large insurance carriers during the past eight years. Consulting services include but not limited to: How a vehicle was last operated (with or without keys in burned or unburned vehicles), Origin and Cause of vehicle fires, and vehicle defects. Provides services as a consultant and researcher to attorneys and insurance companies, and private industry throughout the US in cases related to vehicles. Has worked with crime prevention officers throughout the US establishing training programs designed to protect the public from becoming victims of auto theft. PATENT: 3/21/00 issued patent# 6,039,140 for 8 different variations of airbag anti-theft devices. PUBLICATIONS Currently authors articles and test reports on an ongoing basis for SIUs and the forensic/vehicle fire industry. Published author: (1,297 slide training course) Auto Theft/ Fraud Training Course) ?The Modern Forensic Approach to Auto Theft Investigation.? (January, 2001) Author: ?Variables to Be Considered In Vehicle Fire Investigation after Suppression.? (Insurance publication-November 2001) Author: ?Ford Magnesium Steering Columns and the Results to Ignition Components after a Fire?. Article for peer review from the fire and forensic community. (November 2001) Author: ?The Truth About GM VATS.? (Article) (November 2001) Author: ?The Truth About GM PASSLOCK TM? (Article) (November 2001) Author:? Auto Theft Investigation: Hollywood vs. Reality? (Article) (February 2001) For the John Cooke Fraud Report. Published author: (Manual) ?Forensic Vehicle Fire/ Arson and Auto Theft Investigation? (October 2000) Published author: (Article) ?Petty Claims? for the John Cooke Fraud Report (October, 1998) Published author (Manual) ?AUTO THEFT: LET THE TRUTH BE KNOWN!? (1998) (Previously distributed by Barnes & Nobel) Co-authored the investigation manual, ?Surreptitious Entry & Auto Theft & Burn & the Investigator.? (1999) Authored test questions on the subject of steering columns and vehicle security for CFL designation to be given by the International Association of Investigative Locksmiths. January, 2000 Published author: (Manual) ?Saginaw Steering Columns-What Has Not Been Told? Training manual for fire investigators. (March 2000) Published (Article) ?Beyond The Lock? (May 2000) Published Author: (Article) Fraud Defense Network-August, 2000 Edition-?Melting Steering Column Tests.? Published author: (Test Report) ?Burned Toyota Steering Column Testing to Determine How Last Operated?. Tool marks and procedures. (December 1999) Currently at the FBI Crime Lab in Washington DC and the US Army Crime Lab in Atlanta, GA for peer review. ACCOMPLISHMENTS Defeated the ?unstealable? Ford Securilock transponder system for a court case 10/10/00. They said it could not be done! Primary designer of a state of the art ?bait? car for a police department to catch car thieves. Worked with The National Highway Safety Transportation Administration and discovered a potential fire hazard on a vehicle and determined origin and cause of under hood fires on this type of vehicle. Featured as ?Auto Theft Expert? in the A & E auto theft documentary ?Stealing Wheels? that aired July 26, 2000. Contacted by Sears and Edelman Marketing to be a national spokesman for an anti theft device for vehicles. (November 1999) Invited to provide evaluation and consulting to steering column engineers at Daimler Chrysler Corporation in Auburn Hills, MI (10/19/99-10/22/99). The purpose of this project was to demonstrate how steering column locking mechanisms could be defeated without the use of a key and how to reinforce the columns against theft. Court Qualified as an Auto Theft Expert and my videos of defeating columns were also accepted by a Cleveland, Ohio Court in October 1999 as a valid piece of evidence. Contacted by Disney Touchstone Pictures for technical assistance in making the movie ?Gone in 60 Seconds? (March 1999) CONSULTANT FOR FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS ? Former contributor for The Insurance News Network (Auto theft and prevention) includes heading a forum for the public on how to protect their vehicles for 3+ years. ? Former editor and consultant for the public on matters involving auto theft and prevention 2000-2001 on the web at ? The Insurance Career Center (Auto theft and fraud). ? National Association of Investigative Specialists (Auto theft and fraud) ? Expert Find (Auto theft and fraud} TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE ? ASE (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence) Certified in Auto: brakes, steering and suspension, engine repair, manual drive train and axles, air conditioning. Med/Heavy duty truck: gasoline engine repair, electrical/electronic components. Collision: elec.....