Auto Theft Prevention/Pats system is not working correctly

I am really, REALLY hoping you can help me find a solution to my PATS issue. I am currently working on (attempting to really) a 99 cougar. The car was recovered with the PATS s system not intact, the previous owner lost the original keys, then trtied to hot wire the vehicle unsuccesfully. The repoguy/ backyrad mechanic tried replacing the reciever ring along with having 2 new PATS keys cut. They would not program, so He called me. I am unable to and unwilling to pay the shops diag fees and then the fees to have it fixed. What I need to know is, is there anyway to get the vehicle running again? Possibly bypassing the PATS altogether? I have already tried the keys in the run position for various amounts of time with no results so I know there is another issue with the PATS but I am out of ideas! Please help!

Hi Jennifer,

It sounds like you are trying to do your own programming. That won't work. If you have 2 new PATS keys, the transceiver ring is good, you need a T code, Ford NGS, or code Seeker to program those keys to the PATS module. Locksmiths have these programmers and can set you up, and the system if all there does not need diagnosed. Only keys need programmed. You have a potential of two issues here. If the battery ever went dead, key memory is gone. Second, you tried cranking with transceiver ring missing, which enables the PATS. Just contact a locksmith. Sorry, you are not going to get away paying no money, but the locksmith comes to you and thee car does not have to be towed to the dealer and pay their outrageous prices.

As for bypassing. Only work on system not disturbed. Once enabled, not getting bypassed.

Now, I defeated the unstealable Ford Securilock a/k/a PATS in the Los Angeles case Greines v Ford. I did it with one wire just by reading a schematic. I can say with certainty, Ford was not happy. Especially since my peers used my bypass and they too, put it on video and it worked 100% of the time on 1997 Expeditions, Navigators, pick ups 2003. 1998-2001 Explorers. I proved Ford lied when they said their system could not be hot wired. PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) is a lie as well. Never designed to prevent theft. Only designed into the ignition circuit through transponder.

Your problem is that it is a car which is a different setup than the vehicles I bypassed. I suppose I could bypass the cars, but I needed financial incentive and my bypass for research, testing cost $30k for the client attorney.
Instead of using a single relay, the cars use a relay module with a combination of relays inside the module. As I said, once enabled as you have done, even the bypass would not work.

I am not an expert on the Ford PATS on SUVs and trucks as Ford pointed out in court. However, even though they tried to hide it for a number of years, I am an expert on defeating the Ford junk PATS on the listed vehicles. Sounds arrogant, but I deserve that because the lawyers for Ford stated I was merely a mechanic that worked on cars and did not have the engineering background of the Ford engineer. Yes, I was a technician that had a business exclusively to repairing stolen recovered vehicles. I don't think like a locksmith or an engineer. I think as a thief with now 33 years of experience in vehicle theft. Have not seen a car made I can't steal with a functioning transponder system, most times in less than 60 seconds. I demonstrated on CNBC TV the different programmers to make transponder keys for cars and trucks in order to steal the "unstealable." Aug 9, 2012 on a series known as "Crime Inc."
I hope none of you think I am arrogant or egotistical. I know my subjects as best as someone can know and yet am always learning. I am very confident and very passionate about these subjects. I love what I do!

This brings me to what happened into the wee hours of the night, tonight. A new client called me at midnight and said an insurance has such a bad problem with me. This involves a stolen recovered burned Ford Explorer non PATS. I am going to crush them next week! They denied the claim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My store which repaired over 10,000 theft recoveries. I authored the book Auto Theft Let the Truth Be Known!" Barnes and Noble carried the book 1998-1999, it's content was about auto theft in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the book was
partially used for dialog by Disney Touch tone Pictures for the movie Gone in 60 Seconds. Sounds bad for them, but gets much much worse. They have a forensic vendor that states this burned hulk had its door unlocked and driven with a key. If anyone looks at my CV (resume) at, they would be very impressed in all the depositions and court testimony I have done as an expert witness in vehicle fires, burn debris analysis, ignition and transponder technology and burned Fords. Ford has a magnesium alloy steering column that ignites in fires like this one and burns at temps to 5,400 degrees (Kirks Guide to Fire Investigation), taking out the ignition if mounted in the column at the time of the fire. I have video of steering column defeat in 20 seconds with no damage to the ignition lock key way when it falls to the floor. A screwdriver is then circumventing the use of the ignition lock all together with no damage to the key way. Normally, this denial would be handled by the insured's attorney that knows nothing about auto theft, fire or the insurance investigation procedures (I have 23 years of working with the investigators, going to training with them and training them.) I went rogue on these alleged forensic locksmiths experts 16 years ago. If the insurance companies are stupid enough to use these guys, not my problem. The attorneys will battle it out for years in court and the insurance company has a 50/50 chance of prevailing. The attorney working for the insured may retain a consultant/expert such as us. Then the law is argued. Now, that is the normal procedure. The problem in this case. Its not normal! I may serve as an expert here, I don't know. I will however embarrass their forensic vendor they are relying on, but here is the biggest problem as to how I work with many of our clients.
I am representing our client under what is known as a Power of Attorney. This gives me the right to serve as his attorney in fact, even though I am not a licensed attorney! I argue the fact! Who do you think is going to prevail against any seasoned insurance defense firm? Could be very embarrassing. This is my dream case!
If you are wondering if a non-attorney can beat the insurance defense, it just happened! Tony Dane worked as a Pro Se Plaintiff in Las Vegas and the verdict went in his favor February 4, 2013 in Dane v Geico. Now maybe its my turn!

Now for one of those weekly advertisements-Shucks-lol

If your vehicle is stolen, first call the police. Second, contact your insurance company. Third, contact us immediately!
We are a nationwide consulting firm for insurance SIU investigations, EUOs and denials. Many people do not realize that if the vehicle is stolen, there is an investigation. Some that are naive believe the insurance company is searching for who stole the vehicle. The truth of the matter is they are going to build a case for denial with circumstantial innuendo and assumption transposed as fact.
In other words, everything you say from the recorded statement about the theft and forward, is going to be used against you. They will procure a "forensic Locksmith" that will examine the vehicle and his opinion will be the ignition was last driven with a key of the proper type. It is a fact, that State Farm uses these characters that will determine the vehicle was last with a key of the proper type (whatever that is, but inferred to be the insureds) on vehicles that were never recovered, which is really quite a trick. Geico stated in Las Vegas Dane v Geico Jan 2012, they deny a theft claim for a bankruptcy.
Your first thought is probably get a lawyer to represent you. Lawyers know nothing about the investigation process, the forensic experts or auto theft. We do! This is our expertise and we are very passionate about what we know best,, these claims and cases from start to finish!

We are not a law firm and generally won't cost you years to settle the claim, maybe in court.

We are the insurance companies worst nightmare come true! 23 years experience working and training, with the insurance investigators. 30 years of auto theft and forensics. Qualified to testify as expert witnesses in 20 state courts, federal courts and even two military court martials. 16 years of successfully testifying against the insurance forensic locksmiths, and hundreds of hours of sworn testimony. Who would you want on your side? A lawyer with no experience in this field that just takes your money, or someone really out to protect innocent insureds? Many denials we have taken, that would have taken years to get to court with an inexperienced attorney, with no guaranty you will prevail, we have turned into successful settlements.
Please do not misunderstand. We serve as consultants and expert witnesses on these matters for attorneys quite often and have tremendous respect for them.
How do we have this power? Our reputation and by you the insured, assigning us to represent you in the claim under the state or country, in the case of Canada statutes of Power of Attorney for the claim/case.
We are a force to be reckoned with!

Serving all 50 states and Canada
A&R Forensic Auto Lab LLC
Lone Oak, TX
Rob's cell-972-310-4750  

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI

My background in auto theft is extensive. I have been directly involved in the repair of over 10,000 theft recovered vehicles. I also do insurance investigation as to how a vehicle was last operated. My clients are insurance companies and attorneys. Was featured in the A & E auto theft documentary "Stealing Wheels" July 26, 2000. Has consulted with Daimler Chrysler steering column engineers to make their steering columns harder to defeat. Holds patent # 6,039,140 for 8 different variations to protect air bags from theft.

ROB PAINTER, ASE, CFL, CFEI Forensic Vehicle Component Analyst Diplomate, Board Certified Forensic Examiner ASE Certified Auto, Collision, Med/Hvy/Duty Truck Technician Certified Forensic Locksmith Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator Certified Forensic Auto Theft Examiner Certified Auto Theft and Fraud Expert P.O. Box 190 Big Bend, WI 53103 Phone (414) 698-9696 Fax (262) 662-1352 As per federal court rules of evidence (702) (Daubert) my testimony has qualified me as: Auto Theft and Fraud Expert Forensic Vehicle Analyst Fire Origin and Cause Expert In the trial transcript of Holiday vs Progressive Insurance Company (March 12, 2002?Eugene, Oregon) with Holiday being my client-named ?the expert for experts.? BUSINESS EXPERIENCE Founder of the ?Forensic Institute of Auto Theft Analysis? (January 2002). This is the training school that will set the standards in determining the last operation of a reported stolen vehicle-burned or unburned. Much of my testing and procedures have been accepted as the guide for the forensic community. 1986 opened Auto Recovery Specialists Inc., providing exclusive repair of theft recovered and vandalized vehicles. The initial concept of the business was to return vehicles to their original shape before the theft, vandalism or fire. In 1987 bought the rights to the theft deterrent known as the ?Chicago Collar?. Duties include complete component replacement: dash, stereo system, interior, locks and coding, rebuilding steering columns, repairing and installing vehicle security system components (factory and after market), engine components, body repair, glass replacement, repair and service of air conditioning components, brake and suspension repair, and replacement, wiring harnesses etc. to return vehicle to pre-theft condition Complete reconstruction. During the past 17 years directly involved in the repair of over 10,000 theft-recovered and fire damaged Personally examined and rebuilt thousands of steering columns on both import and domestic vehicles Internationally acknowledged as expert in auto theft including court, consulting with insurance companies, attorneys and law enforcement. Consultant on steering columns, locks, stereo systems and vehicle security for Special Investigation Units for many large insurance carriers during the past eight years. Consulting services include but not limited to: How a vehicle was last operated (with or without keys in burned or unburned vehicles), Origin and Cause of vehicle fires, and vehicle defects. Provides services as a consultant and researcher to attorneys and insurance companies, and private industry throughout the US in cases related to vehicles. Has worked with crime prevention officers throughout the US establishing training programs designed to protect the public from becoming victims of auto theft. PATENT: 3/21/00 issued patent# 6,039,140 for 8 different variations of airbag anti-theft devices. PUBLICATIONS Currently authors articles and test reports on an ongoing basis for SIUs and the forensic/vehicle fire industry. Published author: (1,297 slide training course) Auto Theft/ Fraud Training Course) ?The Modern Forensic Approach to Auto Theft Investigation.? (January, 2001) Author: ?Variables to Be Considered In Vehicle Fire Investigation after Suppression.? (Insurance publication-November 2001) Author: ?Ford Magnesium Steering Columns and the Results to Ignition Components after a Fire?. Article for peer review from the fire and forensic community. (November 2001) Author: ?The Truth About GM VATS.? (Article) (November 2001) Author: ?The Truth About GM PASSLOCK TM? (Article) (November 2001) Author:? Auto Theft Investigation: Hollywood vs. Reality? (Article) (February 2001) For the John Cooke Fraud Report. Published author: (Manual) ?Forensic Vehicle Fire/ Arson and Auto Theft Investigation? (October 2000) Published author: (Article) ?Petty Claims? for the John Cooke Fraud Report (October, 1998) Published author (Manual) ?AUTO THEFT: LET THE TRUTH BE KNOWN!? (1998) (Previously distributed by Barnes & Nobel) Co-authored the investigation manual, ?Surreptitious Entry & Auto Theft & Burn & the Investigator.? (1999) Authored test questions on the subject of steering columns and vehicle security for CFL designation to be given by the International Association of Investigative Locksmiths. January, 2000 Published author: (Manual) ?Saginaw Steering Columns-What Has Not Been Told? Training manual for fire investigators. (March 2000) Published (Article) ?Beyond The Lock? (May 2000) Published Author: (Article) Fraud Defense Network-August, 2000 Edition-?Melting Steering Column Tests.? Published author: (Test Report) ?Burned Toyota Steering Column Testing to Determine How Last Operated?. Tool marks and procedures. (December 1999) Currently at the FBI Crime Lab in Washington DC and the US Army Crime Lab in Atlanta, GA for peer review. ACCOMPLISHMENTS Defeated the ?unstealable? Ford Securilock transponder system for a court case 10/10/00. They said it could not be done! Primary designer of a state of the art ?bait? car for a police department to catch car thieves. Worked with The National Highway Safety Transportation Administration and discovered a potential fire hazard on a vehicle and determined origin and cause of under hood fires on this type of vehicle. Featured as ?Auto Theft Expert? in the A & E auto theft documentary ?Stealing Wheels? that aired July 26, 2000. Contacted by Sears and Edelman Marketing to be a national spokesman for an anti theft device for vehicles. (November 1999) Invited to provide evaluation and consulting to steering column engineers at Daimler Chrysler Corporation in Auburn Hills, MI (10/19/99-10/22/99). The purpose of this project was to demonstrate how steering column locking mechanisms could be defeated without the use of a key and how to reinforce the columns against theft. Court Qualified as an Auto Theft Expert and my videos of defeating columns were also accepted by a Cleveland, Ohio Court in October 1999 as a valid piece of evidence. Contacted by Disney Touchstone Pictures for technical assistance in making the movie ?Gone in 60 Seconds? (March 1999) CONSULTANT FOR FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS ? Former contributor for The Insurance News Network (Auto theft and prevention) includes heading a forum for the public on how to protect their vehicles for 3+ years. ? Former editor and consultant for the public on matters involving auto theft and prevention 2000-2001 on the web at ? The Insurance Career Center (Auto theft and fraud). ? National Association of Investigative Specialists (Auto theft and fraud) ? Expert Find (Auto theft and fraud} TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE ? ASE (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence) Certified in Auto: brakes, steering and suspension, engine repair, manual drive train and axles, air conditioning. Med/Heavy duty truck: gasoline engine repair, electrical/electronic components. Collision: elec.....