Auto Theft Prevention/2004 dodge durango

Question
I drove my 2004 dodge 2 days ago..no problem.. I tried to start it yesterday and it won't start.. there's.power. so when I turn key.over it does a rapid clicking . Dash lights flicker and has a raped high pitch clicking. I believe it may be the security alarm.. how can I reset it or so on.. I push the lock key and it ingages the alarm fine. And can unlock it fine, but Durango wont start.. any suggestions. Please. Ty

Answer
Hello,

There are things you need to understand here. Chances are you do not have an alarm and only a keyless entry with panic. In the event the alarm if so equipped if engaged the starter would make no noise. The engine would just be silent when putting the ignition in Start. There is also a second security system on the vehicle that uses an encrypted code to the computer from the chip in the key. If engaged, when putting ignition in start, the engine would be silent.
So your description of events eliminates both these systems as being the cause of your problem.

Your description leads me to believe you have one of these things going. Either a bad battery or connection of a bad starter.
The first thing to do is remove the battery connections and reinstall and tighten. See if the problem goes away. Try charging or jumping the battery. If the engine starts,, put a battery in.
If you are still having issues, you need to check the starter solenoid to see if it is functioning properly.

This is not a security issue!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI