Auto Theft Prevention/theft light flashing 2002 ford explorer

Question
QUESTION: soon as i put the key in the theft starts flashing no crank no start and has dashes in odemeter cluster.how do i check this system?

ANSWER: Hello,

You were driving it before and had no problem starting? There are numerous things that could be wrong and without a Ford NGS scanner, the exact problem won't be determined.
Did you use a transponder key to start it? Some people will have a transponder key and have a cheap key made without the transponder to unlock the doors.
Ford does not make he keys or locks. All subcontracted through a vendor in Milwaukee. The same place a locksmith gets the keys.
These keys are clonable, which means that if you have a working key you can go to ACE hardware or Walmart and the key can be cut and the electronic code in the key can be duplicated with a scanner. Rip off dealers will charge $150.00 for a key that you can get from a locksmith or the named places for under $50.

the key could be bad. If you have another key, try it.
Another common problem is the transceiver. This requires removing the shrouds and it will be found directly in front of the ignition lock. This is the antenna that reads the key. They are known to fail. This component should be pretty much the same throughout the Ford line and is about $50.00.

You did not say if there were battery issues directly before this happened. If the battery discharges or if disconnected, the fine system loses its key memory and has to be reprogrammed by a locksmith or dealer.

There are far too many components to this PATS junk t give you a dirct answer to your problem without knowing more details.

By the way, this was the newer upgraded PATS that was used after I bypassed the original PATS with one wire demonstrating Ford lied when they said the system made the vehicle virtually unstealable. So don't have optimism and think you will bypass, even though it would be nice because it strands owners.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: I drove it up on the rack,disconnected the battery and pulled the transmission to be rebuilt a few days later installed transmission connected battery and no start no crank flashing theft light soon as I put the key in the ignition.

Answer
Hello,

My point exactly. You disconnected the battery and lost your key memory. You need the computer reprogrammed. Engineered to require you to have towed to dealer. Contact a local locksmith with key programming ability. More than half the cost of dealer and locksmith comes to you.

Good luck!

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI