Auto Theft Prevention/99 cougar PATS System

Question
Hi Rob,
I recently came across a posting of yours while researching the PATS system for a car I am working on. I replaced the engine for a friend of mine and after getting it completely installed, the PATS security started flashing a code of 13 and 14 related to its malfunction.
After a rather lengthy research on it , I finally found the meaning to the codes which is no recognition of the key or only partial code recognition of the key.There is only one key for this car.
I too am  the type of person that doesn't believe that a anti theft system is unbreakable, and the cost of the dealer to reprogram the system is ludicrous.
You stated in this article I read that you found a back door past the PATS and that you shared it with your peers.
My first question is " will you share this with me?" I have exhausted my resources concerning this problem and my friend needs his car back and I need to find a conclusion to this job. Any information you would need to show my intentions were of an honest nature I can give you like vehicle vin # or registered owner, I can furnish. Your expert knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your attention to my issue.
Sincerely Robert W

Answer
Hi Robert,

I would share the back door, however the process was meant only for stealing vehicles with the PATS when Ford said it was "virtually impossible." They were wrong! The bypass won't work on this car, it only functioned on all Ford trucks and SUVs of their era and not cars.

Did you change the computer and PATS module with the engine? It could also be that the key memory is lost from the battery being disconnected--very common in a Ford product!
Never go to a dealer for anything but wiring! Ford does not even make the locks, keys, transponder system. All subcontracted and they are the middleman!

You will however have to contact a local locksmith. Most have key programmers for programming this. The locksmith comes to you!
All you can do is see if the reprogramming will work without the replacement of the PATS module and computer.
These anti theft systems are a fraud. They were never designed to stop theft. They are just a fancy starter kill that is always a problem for the owner, if they lose a key or change the engine. The standard thought is to go to the dealer. These techs are just parts changers and rarely fix the problem. I had about 30 techs like that when I was service manager at a dealer.
I get so many dealer complaints on this site it is beyond imagination.

Good luck and let me know if the problem was only because the battery was disconnected.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI