Auto Theft Prevention/2004 neon

I started my car went to do some errands I shut the car off and the key won't turn over I have power to the cluster in the dash with the key on I jumped across the starter but car didn't start

Well, there are many things that can be wrong and since I am not at the vehicle, I can only give you suggestions. I hope you did not fry something jumping the starter and I do not know as to why you would try that first.
The first thing is to make sure the battery has at least 12 volts in it.
The next thing is to get in the car, turn the ignition on, depress the brake and take the transmission shift lever and put in neutral, then run it into Park firmly and see if that is the reason the engine did not turn over. That can happen in which the lever was not fully in the park position.
Next, if that does not work, you will need another person and a 12 volt tests light. Put the test light to the solenoid wire at the starter with the alligator clip on ground. Have another person put the ignition in the start position. If the test light lights up, your starter has failed and you need to replace it.
If the test light does not light, you may have a burned out fusible link at the starter. If you pull on the harness wires individually going to the starter and one feels rubbery instead of firm, the fusible link needs to be replaced. Parts stores carry fusible link in bulk and has to be cut to length.
If that is not the problem, you will have to get to the ignition wiring on the opposite side of the ignition lock cylinder on the steering column, and find the starter wire and using the test light, determine if when the ignition key is turned to start, if power is coming out of the switch. If not, you need a new electrical ignition switch (Not the key cylinder).
One other thing that can be faulty would be the ground. Follow the negative cable to the place it is attached either at the engine or frame. If at the frame, remove the bolt and scrape the battery cable end til its shiny and the same with the frame, tighten the bolt.This is an older car and anything can happen no matter how well it has been take care of or the mileage.

As you see, there are many things that need to be considered before assuming the starter just needs jumped.

Good luck!

I do this from time to time to advertize since I volunteer my time on this site, and have done so helping people with my knowledge of vehicles for over 10 years.

Information about my expertise as it relates to anyone with an auto theft claim:

The only non-lawyer firm representing insureds that are victims of auto theft under SIU claims investigation, Examinations Under Oath and Denial of the theft claim. Our services are commonly better than an attorney getting involved in one of these claims/cases for the first or second time in their lives. Two decades of experience in the court system as an expert in auto theft, forensics and vehicle fire, and for the past 3 years representing insureds under Power of Attorney with a 100% resolution record without court intervention, and far quicker instead of the years these matters can take.
24 years experience working with and training with the Special Investigation Units. We know all the national forensic locksmiths/examiners that author the reports purporting to be able to determine the last key used in the reported stolen vehicle (appearing to be the insured's key), which gives the investigator the green light to investigate the insured for a purported financial motive to commit fraud. The fraud in fact, is the forensic locksmith reports (in our opinion) that these fraud investigations are based on.

We do have expert witness services and consulting services we offer attorneys as well.
So, in the event you are a victim of a car theft, report to the cops. Then report to your insurance company at which point you will be requested to give a recorded statement. After the statement, say nothing else until you contact us at 866-490-1673 or
Unlike an arrest in which you are given Miranda rights, telling you everything you say can be used against you, the rules are the same here except under civil investigation the insured is not informed. As stated, we are not attorneys and do not give legal advice, but an insurance investigation is not a legal case and an attorney cannot help you anymore than we can.
I have hundreds of hours of sworn testimony and there is more tan one way to tell the truth.
Insureds commonly try to defend themselves in these situations supporting their innocence. The worst thing that can be done against an ex cop seasoned investigator. As the insured, you are required to cooperate, but before you do, contact us. Many of the questions you will be asked, we ave written for carriers over the years.
I can sound arrogant and narcissistic if I say I am the best. However, my court record and my clients support these assertions.  

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI

My background in auto theft is extensive. I have been directly involved in the repair of over 10,000 theft recovered vehicles. I also do insurance investigation as to how a vehicle was last operated. My clients are insurance companies and attorneys. Was featured in the A & E auto theft documentary "Stealing Wheels" July 26, 2000. Has consulted with Daimler Chrysler steering column engineers to make their steering columns harder to defeat. Holds patent # 6,039,140 for 8 different variations to protect air bags from theft.

ROB PAINTER, ASE, CFL, CFEI Forensic Vehicle Component Analyst Diplomate, Board Certified Forensic Examiner ASE Certified Auto, Collision, Med/Hvy/Duty Truck Technician Certified Forensic Locksmith Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator Certified Forensic Auto Theft Examiner Certified Auto Theft and Fraud Expert P.O. Box 190 Big Bend, WI 53103 Phone (414) 698-9696 Fax (262) 662-1352 As per federal court rules of evidence (702) (Daubert) my testimony has qualified me as: Auto Theft and Fraud Expert Forensic Vehicle Analyst Fire Origin and Cause Expert In the trial transcript of Holiday vs Progressive Insurance Company (March 12, 2002?Eugene, Oregon) with Holiday being my client-named ?the expert for experts.? BUSINESS EXPERIENCE Founder of the ?Forensic Institute of Auto Theft Analysis? (January 2002). This is the training school that will set the standards in determining the last operation of a reported stolen vehicle-burned or unburned. Much of my testing and procedures have been accepted as the guide for the forensic community. 1986 opened Auto Recovery Specialists Inc., providing exclusive repair of theft recovered and vandalized vehicles. The initial concept of the business was to return vehicles to their original shape before the theft, vandalism or fire. In 1987 bought the rights to the theft deterrent known as the ?Chicago Collar?. Duties include complete component replacement: dash, stereo system, interior, locks and coding, rebuilding steering columns, repairing and installing vehicle security system components (factory and after market), engine components, body repair, glass replacement, repair and service of air conditioning components, brake and suspension repair, and replacement, wiring harnesses etc. to return vehicle to pre-theft condition Complete reconstruction. During the past 17 years directly involved in the repair of over 10,000 theft-recovered and fire damaged Personally examined and rebuilt thousands of steering columns on both import and domestic vehicles Internationally acknowledged as expert in auto theft including court, consulting with insurance companies, attorneys and law enforcement. Consultant on steering columns, locks, stereo systems and vehicle security for Special Investigation Units for many large insurance carriers during the past eight years. Consulting services include but not limited to: How a vehicle was last operated (with or without keys in burned or unburned vehicles), Origin and Cause of vehicle fires, and vehicle defects. Provides services as a consultant and researcher to attorneys and insurance companies, and private industry throughout the US in cases related to vehicles. Has worked with crime prevention officers throughout the US establishing training programs designed to protect the public from becoming victims of auto theft. PATENT: 3/21/00 issued patent# 6,039,140 for 8 different variations of airbag anti-theft devices. PUBLICATIONS Currently authors articles and test reports on an ongoing basis for SIUs and the forensic/vehicle fire industry. Published author: (1,297 slide training course) Auto Theft/ Fraud Training Course) ?The Modern Forensic Approach to Auto Theft Investigation.? (January, 2001) Author: ?Variables to Be Considered In Vehicle Fire Investigation after Suppression.? (Insurance publication-November 2001) Author: ?Ford Magnesium Steering Columns and the Results to Ignition Components after a Fire?. Article for peer review from the fire and forensic community. (November 2001) Author: ?The Truth About GM VATS.? (Article) (November 2001) Author: ?The Truth About GM PASSLOCK TM? (Article) (November 2001) Author:? Auto Theft Investigation: Hollywood vs. Reality? (Article) (February 2001) For the John Cooke Fraud Report. Published author: (Manual) ?Forensic Vehicle Fire/ Arson and Auto Theft Investigation? (October 2000) Published author: (Article) ?Petty Claims? for the John Cooke Fraud Report (October, 1998) Published author (Manual) ?AUTO THEFT: LET THE TRUTH BE KNOWN!? (1998) (Previously distributed by Barnes & Nobel) Co-authored the investigation manual, ?Surreptitious Entry & Auto Theft & Burn & the Investigator.? (1999) Authored test questions on the subject of steering columns and vehicle security for CFL designation to be given by the International Association of Investigative Locksmiths. January, 2000 Published author: (Manual) ?Saginaw Steering Columns-What Has Not Been Told? Training manual for fire investigators. (March 2000) Published (Article) ?Beyond The Lock? (May 2000) Published Author: (Article) Fraud Defense Network-August, 2000 Edition-?Melting Steering Column Tests.? Published author: (Test Report) ?Burned Toyota Steering Column Testing to Determine How Last Operated?. Tool marks and procedures. (December 1999) Currently at the FBI Crime Lab in Washington DC and the US Army Crime Lab in Atlanta, GA for peer review. ACCOMPLISHMENTS Defeated the ?unstealable? Ford Securilock transponder system for a court case 10/10/00. They said it could not be done! Primary designer of a state of the art ?bait? car for a police department to catch car thieves. Worked with The National Highway Safety Transportation Administration and discovered a potential fire hazard on a vehicle and determined origin and cause of under hood fires on this type of vehicle. Featured as ?Auto Theft Expert? in the A & E auto theft documentary ?Stealing Wheels? that aired July 26, 2000. Contacted by Sears and Edelman Marketing to be a national spokesman for an anti theft device for vehicles. (November 1999) Invited to provide evaluation and consulting to steering column engineers at Daimler Chrysler Corporation in Auburn Hills, MI (10/19/99-10/22/99). The purpose of this project was to demonstrate how steering column locking mechanisms could be defeated without the use of a key and how to reinforce the columns against theft. Court Qualified as an Auto Theft Expert and my videos of defeating columns were also accepted by a Cleveland, Ohio Court in October 1999 as a valid piece of evidence. Contacted by Disney Touchstone Pictures for technical assistance in making the movie ?Gone in 60 Seconds? (March 1999) CONSULTANT FOR FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS ? Former contributor for The Insurance News Network (Auto theft and prevention) includes heading a forum for the public on how to protect their vehicles for 3+ years. ? Former editor and consultant for the public on matters involving auto theft and prevention 2000-2001 on the web at ? The Insurance Career Center (Auto theft and fraud). ? National Association of Investigative Specialists (Auto theft and fraud) ? Expert Find (Auto theft and fraud} TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE ? ASE (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence) Certified in Auto: brakes, steering and suspension, engine repair, manual drive train and axles, air conditioning. Med/Heavy duty truck: gasoline engine repair, electrical/electronic components. Collision: elec.....