Auto Theft Prevention/1998 potiac sunfire

Question
QUESTION: How do i remove my aftermarket theft system? It has a Master key that looks like a computer chip and says silencer on it. Its stopping my car from running, it starts but stops after a couple seconds. If you could tell me how that would be really great, thank you

ANSWER: Hello,

I do not believe that aftermarket junk is your problem. Generally they are an ignition kill and the engine won't crank.
It sounds like a PASSLOCK (GM anti theft) issue. there is no special ignition key and the way this junk system works is off the sensing of the  rotation of the ignition lock cylinder.
If this system has a problem, the engine will start, run and shut off, exactly as your complaint.
Your problem is that you see the dealer installed over priced junk and are not aware of the other so called security junk in your car.

To remove the after market crap, you need to go under the dash and follow the wring. You may see up to 6 different ground wires black in color attached to a bolt. Remove the bolt and remove the wires. reinstall the bolt. There will be two wires going to the ignition starter wire. The starter wire will be seen as the same color which is cut supplying two leads to this after market system. Splice the original factory starter wire together. Cut and cap the power wire for the after market system. Remove and throw out!

Passlock-might be an issue to fix, however try reprogramming first. Turn ignition on not to start. Leave on ten min. Turn off. Turn to on ten minutes. Turn off. Turn on for ten minutes. Shut off and try to start engine. Passlock is now reprogrammed.

Get back to me.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: Thank you, would this also allow the car to start and run sometimes? Cause once it runs it wont stall or anything but twice all the dash lights come up and tachometer and temperature gauge will drop to nothing also While running the the thef tlight will come on and stay on

ANSWER: Hello,

The Passlock can absolutely do that! I am concerned about what you are telling me about the gauges making me think you have an electrical issue in the vehicle and the security light from the factory Passlock is just a by product of this electrical problem. You need to remember all this is interlinked into the vehicle's computer.
A bad connection for the gauge circuit could be located at the electrical ignition switch (not the key lock cylinder). You may want to check the battery ground at the frame. Check all grounds under dash as well.
Passlock is controlled by the computer. The ignition is obviously linked, and the speedo instrument cluster is as well. Your problems ARE NOT related to the after market starter kill!

http://www.auotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: Thank you, so what if the reprogramming doesn't work? Can I remove the passlock at all? Or disconnect it somehow?and i did a computer diagnosis and it came up with the codes v1016c and that is loss of pcm communication and p1629c and that is the anti theft cranking signal. Do these go along with the passlock?

Answer
Hello,

I will say, not bad on my part considering I am not at the vehicle and only on the internet. LOL
All related. You could have a bad computer or a bad connection somewhere.
How did you get the code? The Tech II programmer is the only diagnoses tool that may pin point the exact problem for you losing the signal. Service centers have this equipment. NEVER go to a dealer!
I would be checking grounds. There are many under the dash. as I said, that negative battery cable frame ground is crucial as well.

You are not going to bypass the pass lock and don't purchase the 555 L bypass modules on the Internet used for remote start. Will not address your problem.

Here is the problem-everything is integrated into the computer and yes the Passlock can be bypassed, but the integrity of other major components is effected. Possibly the stereo won't work, headlights and who knows what else. Thieves bypassed this junk easily and did not care about the other systems to the vehicle. All they want to do is go!

You will need to find the problem. You may need to go to Craigs list or Ebay to obtain a factory service manual for diagnostic flow charts. DO NOT just start changing parts on a guess!

Your Passlock problem is just a rsult and not the direct cause of your problem.

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI