Auto Theft Prevention/passlock anti theft deterrent

Question
I have a ,97 Pontiac sunfire gt 2.4l. I bought used..my son broke the ignition switch, I needing my car asked a friend to hot wire it for me, only to learn( after the hot wire had been attempted) it had an anti theft system. So now I've replace the column the ignition switch, attempted the key relearn process even attempted to bypass...to learn that the owner prior to me had already had an issue as well and had a kitvinstalled.  I do not have the original key with chip. And I've replaced ignition switch and key.
Now car will start and run but shuts off after a minute or two ..I have spark, fuel pump is pumping..however do have low pressure...what would be causing this? Car started and ran fine before all of this.  Please help me!!!!

Answer

You have the passlock ineffective anti theft system. It has no chip in the ignition key. That isn't how the system works. PK III had the chip, as did the revised and attempted to be improved was the circle plus.

Your system works with the computer seeing the rotation of the ignition lock. There are 10 different combinations of lock housings with different resistance values.

You are dealing with a magnetic field inside the housing and you need to make sure you have the correct ignition lock cylinder in it. You can tell if it is correct by removing the ignition lock and looking for the protruding magnet towards the end of the lock.

I do not know where you got the ignition from. GM never made ignition locks and keys. All this was subbed to a Milwaukee lock company. (I have been in that plant many times).

There were also problems with the housing and the ignition lock spraying grease on the inside blocking the magnetic field. We would spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the housing out of the grease.
Once you have established you have the correct lock cylinder for PASSLOCK from a parts store and all the wiring is properly attached, we will go forward.

Keep in mind the speedo cluster, the computer and the ignition lock and housing are all linked together. If one doesn't work, the engine will not start.

When you say you hot wired, I hope you did not play with the PASSLOCK wiring on the left side of the column. Thinner wires than at the electrical ignition switch. One crucial wire is a thin yellow wire.

When you say you bypassed, what did you do? Did you use the GM Bulletin from May of 1999 #26? This was a half-ass way to bypass for remote start, and the correct way was to use a 555L bypass module from alarm stores for the remote start. However, bulleting #26 did in fact bypass with a toggle, in which if you turned off the system, the security light would stay on in the dash.

Leave those wires alone if you haven't screwed them up. It is a thin 3 or 4 wire harness connecting to the ignition lock housing and runs straight down the left side of the steering column.

If everything I have stated is addressed, pay close attention because people rarely do because they don't have patience.
To reset, it is a 30 minute process. Not a 10 minute process, not a 20 minute process.

Turn ignition to on (don't start engine) and leave on for 10 minutes. Turn off. Turn on for 10 minutes. Shut off. Turn on for 10 minutes. Turn off. Engine should now start if you haven't cut the wrong wires, fried the computer by trying to hot wire.

As stated, there is nothing special about the ignition keys and can be copied for $3 at a hardware store.

Every thing I have described is accurate. Have done it thousands of times, but the caveat is the unknown as to the hands that were in this before and what has been done to it prior to putting the steering column in and changing the ignition lock.

So you are aware of proper terminology if you need to get parts, the ignition lock is not the ignition switch. It is known as a key/lock cylinder. The ignition switch is on the left side and has the wires going to it, or is at the bottom of the column depending on the design of the steering column, being GM kept switching them around in that era.

Let me know what happens and maybe we will have to undo one of the things that was done to the car in an attempt to get it running.

http://www.autoheftexpert.com

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI