Auto Theft Prevention/Is all anti theft useless?

Question
Hi Rob, I have read most of your answers pertinent to my subject. I have Silverado 2015 35000  diesel HC. Nobody so far can tell me what is factory installed anti theft on this new GTP K2Xx platform. Is there anything Actually can be done to significantly decrease the chances of truck been stolen. Can you comment on adding the inclination and shock sensors to OEM alarm plus smart key with phone text notifications, or adding aftermarket alarms with thouse sensors ( if it works wich alarm is better)also , please comment on Ravelco plug, starter kill switch, ,Maxi-lock hood lock with starter kill,  Jimmy jammers ,mechanical immobilizers( europian Disklok).  Does multi layer protection make sense and if it is which layers would u recomend for that particular truck and how to find the best people to do it if it can be done at all , or it is all useless ? Thank a lots

Answer
Hi Mike,

Factory installed anti theft devices are worthless, but if the vehicle is stolen, your insurance company will attempt to build a case of fraud with your involvement of the theft of the vehicle. See, it is either ignorance or something nefarious in which insurance investigators and cops believe these vehicles are unstealable. With that said, your theft claim is not investigated as a theft, but that of a fraud. I know this as a fact, because I serve as an expert witness for insureds and criminal defendants and I also represent them under Power of Attorney preparing them for investigation questioning and sworn testimony or Examinations under Oath (EUOs).
You are guilty of owning a vehicle that is purportedly theft proof (which is a flat out lie) and if stolen, you are going to be a victim not once, but twice by your carrier accusing you, and possibly a third time if referred to prosecution.
It doesn't matter what carrier you have, because these thefts are treated the same way! I am in the process of writing a book on this.
These facts you are not told in the cute TV commercials with the Lizard, by Flo, or the State or the good hands people!
We work for carriers in the examination of these reported stolen vehicles, but what separates us from anyone else in the field is that we represent insureds. We are the only firm on a national level that represents insureds.

Your vehicle should be equipped with the PK III. A system designed in 1994 and first introduced on the 1997 Buick Road Master and Cadillac Catera. Modified in about 2005 or 2006 to the circle plus. Now, if you had a cell phone from 1994, how good would it be? In spite of what cops and investigators believe electronic technology is dynamic except when it comes to factory installed security which is static du to the with cost of redesign.
GM first employed the VATS (Resistor chip in ignition key blade) in the 1986 Corvette. By 1990, we were bypassing the VATS for remote start so that the engine would start at a distance by pushing a button on a key fob and no key in the ignition. Thieves were also bypassing this problematic junk that when the wires inside the plastic insulation stranded the owner because the engine did not start.
VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) never designed to prevent theft!
Would you believe GM installed this junk in many of their vehicles for 19 years!
Then they went to the PASLOCK-MRD (Mechanical rotation device). Designed only for if  thief would rip the ignition from its housing and the engine would not start then. Yet, the ignition locks suffered fro severe wear and the ignition would turn without the use of a key, or the lock could be force rotated with a screwdriver and the vehicle could be driven off! GM used this system on select makes and models for about 10 years.
Then GM went with the PK III transponder on the models mentioned and expanded into all of their makes and models.

That should explain your situation with factory security on tis very nice pick of a truck.

I do not believe I have ever written to you in response to your question suggesting sensors or adding anything to the factory installed security.

The truth of the matter is that Reliance on factory security is fool hardy, because it is 2 to 3 years electronically obsete when the vehicle is purchased new off the show floor.

I am also not going to get sucked in and recommend 70's design technology like the Ravelco Plug that make impossible to prove statements about their product a fact. Statements like millions installed and not one vehicle stolen. Just how and who verifies this? Better yet, the plug is a glorified engine disable and does not stop movement of the vehicle by pushing, pulling,towing.
Repo tow trucks can pick up a car parked tightly between two cars and have it ready to tow in 30 seconds! I made a video of a to truck with a wheel lift backing up to my truck, clamping the wheels and having it lifted in the air. Total time--8 seconds. Add 30 seconds if the power wheels are on the ground and the transmission linage has to be disconnected. In the event the power wheels are picked up, driver does not even have to get out of the truck!

By the way, October 28, 2014 in New Bedford, MA, I demonstrated 5 ways to steal a PK III transponder equipped vehicle serving as the defendant's expert witness and he and his wife were acquitted!
On March 18, 2015 I spent about 5 hos testifying n 5 different ways the GM PK III equipped vehicle could be stolen in a civil trial representing the insured.

I would recommend having an aftermarket impact sensor combined with a paging alarm. I have heard you can be notified these days of tampering on a cell phone now. If not, get a pager. No one pays attention to sirens blaring.

Depending on what state you are located, you may want to approach the perpetrators. I recommend leaving no stickers warning of a paging alarm.
I am in Texas and we can protect property here. In Wisconsin one can't. I also carry a firearm.

I wouldn't go much farther than a paging alarm and maybe activating the ON Star. Anything else these days I a waste of money.
Look, I am a professional car thief that only demonstrates as to how to steal vehicles in court. If I wanted your vehicle, there is nothing you can install that will stop me. If I have that knowledge, what about the thief that steals a vehicle 24/7?

I am just trying to prevent you from getting sucked into ads by Ravelco and other things that cost you money and you get no return.

Enjoy the truck. If it gets stolen and you find yourself in an investigation, don't contact an attorney that knows nothing about the investigation game. Contact me!

http://www.autoheftexpert.com  

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI