Auto Theft Prevention/Chrysler Alarm

Question
QUESTION: I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring and wondering why the alarm goes off every time one of the doors gets opened and wont stop until its reached the time limit. I've had this car for about 6 months and nothing like this has happened until recently. Just wondering how to reset the alarm system?

ANSWER: Hello,
Many people that have alarm issues and believe they are factory installed. From my 30 years of dealing with these issues have only to have been true less than 10% of the time.

If this is optional factory alarm in your vehicle, there is no reset the owner can do and they would be reliant on a dealer with a DRB III scan tool.

The last Chrysler that I dealt with purported factory alarm issues was last month. Guy swore up and down that it was a factory unit. His remote transmitter quit working and the horn, not an aftermarket siren kept going off. The headlights flash just like the factory style and not like aftermarket that when triggered the parking lights would flash, the headlights flashed.

He tested the battery in the remote transmitter. He then bought a new factory remote transmitter from the dealer for $100. (No returns). He tried programming it. Could not get it to program.

He then contacted me.
He would actually argue with me when I Tod him I did not believe this was a factory installed unit.I advised him to go under the dash and find the alarm module. He did and found that the unit and found that the alarm module was not that of a  Chrysler product, but some off brand garbage.

This was not factory installed, but dealer installed. He looked up the brand name off the module and found that parts were no longer available for it.
It took me over 2 hours to walk him through removing it from the vehicle and so by the time he was done, it cost him $350.00 (the remote transmitter he could not take back and my fee) to get the vehicle back on the road.

There is so much of this dealer installed junk out there leading people to believe the vehicle is equipped with a factory alarm. Worse yet, it doesn't matter if factory installed or dealer installed, most of the vehicles older than 2010, parts are no longer available!

The first thing you would have to establish is: are we dealing with a factory or after market alarm to answer your question. The transmitter should have the Chrysler symbol on the back of te case or DEI, or something. Snap a picture of the front of the transmitter and the back of the transmitter and send it to me.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com
http://www.autotheftclaimsmaster.me

QUESTION: know for sure its a factory. nothing has been added to the car for an after market alarm.

Answer
Hello,

OK, you have confused me. When you approach the vehicle, you press the button on the key fob and doors unlock correct?
Yet, when you open the unlocked door, the horn sounds and headlights flash correct until the end of the cycle. Correct?
Then the engine starts and you drive away?
Then after you lock the door with the fob and go back to the car, the same thing plays out?

Did you try this on another door instead of the driver's door?
In other words, unlock with key fob and open passenger door to find no problem?

The reason for the questions is because I am trying to eliminate a faulty door jamb pin switch.
Sometimes these switches fail that control the dome light when the door is opened.
Other than that though, I am afraid you would need to take to a dealer for diagnostics. I quit working on factory alarms for dealers under warranty. No one could decipher the diagnostic flow charts, much less get parts for the factoryvsystems because of the different vendors the car maker used.

Chrysler were less troublesome, because the factory DRB III scanner could diagnose problems easier with more accuracy. There is still the parts issue on a 14 year old vehicle.
Try my suggestion and get back with me. It might be a simple fix.

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com
Http://www.autotheftclaimsmaster.me

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI