Auto Theft Prevention/2000 dodge stratus anti-theift system

Question
My husband bought this car from an older couple that just didnt want to deal with it anymore. The other guy took it to a dealer and he said they put a new anti-theift system in the car. About 5 days after that he went to drive it and it started for about 7 seconds. We dont belive it was a brand new one and was used before, can this be a problem?

When we got the car since my husband has worked on cars before he is trying to fix the anti-theift system himself. He has tried a lot of things. So here is what is going on, there is a red light that is on on the right side of the dash when he turns the key to the on position. He says that is the anti-theift system light. When he tried to start the car it just cranks. It wont start. The key is a chip key. Is there anything you can suggest trying to either disable or reset the anti-theift system?

Answer
Hello,

Just so you are aware, a 2000 Stratus did not come with the SKIM (Factory chipped key) standard. In fact, the color of the key head where the key ring hole is located is black in color and not gray which denotes a transponder system. It may have been an option for the Stratus. I consulted Chrysler in Auburn Hills, MI in 1999 and the only models that received the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) standard were the Grand Cherokee and some Sebrings.

Now, in the event that the key head is gray and the computer did not read the key for four engine starts, the system is required to be reprogrammed by a locksmith or a dealer.
The factory so called anti theft is designed to let the engine run about 6 seconds without seeing the correct key and the engine stalls. As stated, 4 attempts require special equipment for reprogramming or engine will never start again! Chrysler used the DRB III tool for reprogramming and one of the many after markets scanners locksmiths used was the OTC D.A.R.T.

As for the red so-called anti theft light, if it is not in the instrument cluster, chances are it is an after market unit. The problem with after market, there are hundreds of different variations as just like the installations. This creates a real challenge for me giving you any type of information, because I have no clue as to what I am dealing with.

You can't and you will not over ride the factory system, because everything is integrated into the vehicle. You may lose the head light circuit or some other crucial part of the vehicle. Did these ystems prevent theft? No, but then again, thieves did not care as to what did and did not work as long as the vehicle would move!

If you are dealing with after market, I would tell you to just cut it out and throw it out! Normally though, after markets are tied into the start circuit and te engine will not crank. The parking lights will flash and a siren will trigger.

Lets start from scratch here. What color is the key head? Black or gray?

http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI