Auto Theft Prevention/2005 Ford Escape random alarms

Question
QUESTION: Hello Rob,
I hope you can help with this issue! 2005 Ford Escape randomly the alarm goes off. All hours of the day, cold days, or warm nights, doesn't matter. I chased this problem for over a year. Just lately it has become so annoying that im determined to fix it! The part that has become so annoying is the door ajar light on the cluster going off. Along with an audible long chime & dome lights illuminating.  This issue has NEVER caused the vehicle to run any differently. If the vehicle is parked & locked, this is when the panic alarm is activated. (which in my opnion, is the vehicle reacting to a sudden door ajar signal thats not pres,ent) So, my only solution to this problem is to NOT lock the vehicle, EVER! This is my wifes main transportation, bless her heart,she has been very patient about me trying to resolve this. She has noticed that everytime the "idiot light" illuminates "door ajar" if she moves her (drivers) seat (6way power) it usually quickly makes the light turn back off. Sometimes for good, sometimes it just keeps coming back on shortlg afterwards.
I also want to add, this Escape is 100% stock. Meaning everything that has required attention, it has always been fixed with OEM parts. (brakes, struts, so on..) it has never had a remote start, or alarm other than the factory anti theft device. We bought the vehicle used from a Ford dealer & it has been a very reliable one st that. Its just this damn alarm thing is driving me crazy!
Can you provide me any insight or ideas on this dilemma of mine?

ANSWER: Hi, since you bought the vehicle used, you really have no way of knowing if this is a factory installed alarm or an aftermarket. Alarms from the factory were about a $600 option and it was rare to see a factory alarm installed on one of these vehicles. I am not saying it didn't happen, just very rare!

You cannot even go by the key fob because some after market units employ them as well.
It could be that you don't have a factory alarm, but merely a keyless entry working with an after market alarm.
Let's start out by determining what is in the vehicle.

When the alarm triggers, do you hear a siren or the horn?
What lights flash? The parking lights or the headlights?

Your problem sounds like it is tied into the current sensing from the door. A very common issue both factory and aftermarket was the door jamb pin switch if so equipped. The door will be shut, the pin switch triggers the alarm which also relates to your footboard issue.
Get back to me on the alarm.
Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: Your absolutley right, the simple fact that we bought it used does make it difficult to say if the vehicle has ever had a alarm. To answer your questions;when the vehicle alarm activates its the horn that beeps. The parki g lights are also the only lights that flash. It acts as if the panic button was pushed. I do know that the key fob buttons were not activated in the past also though. There has been multiple times the alarm has sounded when both key fobs were well out of range & not being handeled either.
Just to give you some idea of my ability with cars, let me explain. I have attended 1 year of auto mechanics @ my local community college. I also worked at a local garage for a couple years during that time. That was back in the early 90's in 1994 i was fortunate enough to get hired @ Ford Motor Co. which where i still work. I am 45yrs old & have always worked on my own vehicles, as far as anything from oil changes to engine swaps, ive also converted a few transmissions from automatics to manuals in my younger years. I do admit though my experience with electrical issues & body work are not my speciality. Which is why i called on a expert for this advice. Dont get me wrong, i am by no means saying that im a"know it all" i only wanted to let you know that when you ask certain questions about this problem, i do have basic knowledge of what im looking for.
Upon research of the Escape problem, it seems to be quite common to have this happen. Most people are saying that the right rear door latch seems to be the culprit. However, none of the other threads ive read have ever mentioned that the door ajar light goes out if you move the drivers power adjusted seat. Most people state that the right rear door is either pushed hard from the outside, or opened & slammed aggressively. Is what has worked for them. I just recently came across the forum that mentioned that door. I have tried bypassing the hood switch that is located near the washer reservior. Its just a push button switch that activates if the hood isnt closed all the way.
Sorry that i rambled  on for a while there, i just want to give you as much info as possible to help you possibly disect the problem.
Thank you so much for your quick response as well!!
My name is Steve & i live in Dundee, MI.

Answer
Ford keyless entry fob
Ford keyless entry fob  
Hi Steve,

Ok, starting to sound a little suspicious. Most factory systems flash headlights. Most aftermarket flash parking lights. The pin switch under the hood is common with aftermarket.
Please send me a picture of you key fob both sides.
Is there a yellow or red light inside the instrument panel saying theft or something when triggered? I am not referring to the past red led that flashes when the key is out of the car.

Auto theft claims master

Auto Theft Prevention

Rob Painter, ASE, CFL, CFEI