Auto body repair & detailing/glue for fixing a bumper

I have a 2004 Mazda Protege in which I recently ran into a post, which ripped the bumper.  The only real damage is confined to small areas just around the holes used to attach the bumper to the body at one end.  

The bumper is some kind of non-metallic composite.  If I could put thin strips of material to replace the strips that have been torn away, the bumper could be reattached.  Are there strips and glues that can be used for this purpose?

Hi Dan,

Yes there are glues that can be used for this type of procedure but they are pretty expensive since you only have one bumper to do. The glue cost around $40 per tube and most require a special applicator gun and adhesion promoter to apply it. For the "strips" you can use a fiberglass mesh tape for strength. Here are some links that you might take a look at:

Fiberglass Evercoat makes a plastic repair that does not require a special applicator gun for dispensing and does not require a special adhesion promoter for most applications.

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.