Auto body repair & detailing/Cougar roof replacement

Hey i have a 1969 mercury cougar with a vinyl roof. it has rust straight through with vary holes into the cab. I will probably just try to chop it off for another ones roof. i would like to know if there was some info about how to get around doing that. i don't have a garage so it is hard to work on body stuff outside (which i am no expert)but don't have the money to take it to a body shop. Is it worth trying outside or just let it sit longer till i might have the money.(how much you think it would cost if u don't mind and could guess)thank you

Hi Bradley,

If you can't remove and replace the top I would recommend repairing the rust holes using POR-15 and Fiberglass cloth. Put a coat of POR-15 down first then cut the cloth to fit the area you need to repair and saturate it with POR-15. This will give you a very good surface to do your body work over. This will also stop the rust dead in it's tracks. POR-15 is an amazing product so I would recommend researching it a bit before you start your repair. Here are a couple of links that will help you get you going:

You can buy POR-15 Products here:

Good Luck with it and if you have any further questions feel free to ask!!

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.