Auto body repair & detailing/Polishing fresh paint

Hi Gary,

I just finished painting my 1968 Camaro using a base/clear system. Everything looks pretty good with the exception of a few minor defects (on the hood) and some dirt specks (basically on every panel but not bad). My question is: What buffing / polishing system do you recommend that I use? BTW, my car is black.

Hi Al,

First you will want to wet sand the dirt nibs and defects by using 1500 grit wet sanding paper. I recommend wrapping your wet sand paper around a foam block to avoid cutting in finger marks. Once this step is completed, I recommend using the 3m Perfect-It Polishing System. It is basically a 3 step system. The first is a rubbing compound, the second is a glaze designed to remove swirl marks, and the third is a swirl eliminator. 3M recommends using their product coordinated pads for best results. Here are some product links that hopefully will help you out:

Foam Block:
3M Compound:
Compound Pad:
3M Polish:
Polish Pad:
Swirl Elim.:
Elim. Pad:

If you follow these steps you vehicle will turn out excellent. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.