Auto body repair & detailing/Small rust spot

Hi Gary, what is the best way to repair a small (less than 1" in diameter) rust spot on a 2010 Toyota? I can get a touch-up paint pen at the dealer, but I need to remove the rust first. Thanks. Have a great day!

Hi Gladis,

For small spot sanding I recommend using what is called a Prep Pen. These are excellent tools for small spot sanding. I would also recommend that you use a bare metal primer prior to touching up the paint. Paint don't have rust inhibitors and can allow rust to continue to grow. I like Zero-Rust primer for this type application. The smallest quantity you can buy is in an aerosol can so for your application I would spray a small amount on a piece of cardboard and then use a small touch-up brush to transfer it to the vehicle. Let it dry for about an hour then apply your paint. Here are some links referring to both products I mentioned:

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.