Auto body repair & detailing/final blocking

QUESTION: I'm doing body work on my 1951 Nash, I thought I had a good surface to paint so I sprayed the door and with paint on it I could see bad body work, so I want to redue it. Now I use a hard board for blocking and want to know if I can use evercoat glaze to fill the areas of shallow dips in the body work? Can glaze be put over paint and primer? Will it bond OK? or do I have to get back down to the metal or filler? Thanks Bruce

ANSWER: Hi Bruce,

Yes, you can apply Fibreglass Evercoat Glaze over small dings and such provided that it's not over 1/16th of an inch thick. If you need to be thicker than that you will need to use a body filler (up to 1/4" max). Glaze can be applied over most paints and primers provided that they are not lacquer based. If it is lacquer based the glaze may not bond properly.

Thanks for the answer. Now my next question is, the primer is lacquer primer, now what do I do? I blocked the rear quarter panel and found a few areas that maybe 1/32 deep. Thanks again

Hi Bruce,

Polyester based products will melt lacquer based products which could substantially effect adhesion. The recommendation is to sand or grind down to bare metal then apply a plastic filler and then glaze coat over that. Once this is done you can apply a lacquer base product over the top if you desire.

Something you might try since you already have lacquer based primer on there is get a lacquer based spot putty. 3M makes one that would be more compatible than the polyester based product. Here is a link:

If you are planning on using lacquer or enamel based paints this product should work fine for you.

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.