Auto body repair & detailing/Fixing Surface Rust Spots

I have a 1996 vehicle.  I have some surface rust spots that I would like to fix.  In addition to that I would like to apply a tinted clear coat after finishing with my painting.  I have sanded the rust spots and wondered if I need to use a rust inhibitor or if primer is enough?  After using a spray primer I planned on using a spray paint that matches my color.  Is spray paint the best option rather than liquid brush paint?  Will I need to sand the spray paint after applying?  I am assuming that my original clear coat is gone after all of this time and that I can then apply my tinted clear coat.  Do I need to wait more than one day to apply the clear after spray painting?

Hi Brian,

Some type of corrosion protection primer is recommended. I recommend a primer called Zero-Rust. It will stop rust from growing and give you a great surface to paint over.

When using an automotive grade paint, I always recommend that it be sprayed for best results. If you are applying a clear-coat over most finishes you shouldn't need to sand unless you wait over 24 hours then you would have to sand and possibly even reapply the color.

The clear-coat will need to be applied after your color has dried at least 1 hour and no more than 24 hours.

Here are some links that will hopefully be helpful to you:

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.