You are here:

Auto body repair & detailing/Touch up chip bulge/bump



I have a few very small chips on my hood and bumper from rocks and I got some touch up paint at the dealer to match my paint. I have been practicing with a toothpick on a piece of paper to get the hang of applying the paint using a toothpick but it seems to be leaving a very small bulge or hump. I assume this will also happen when I apply it to the surface of my car.

Before I try something that I might regret later to remove these bumps and level the paint after applying to the surface of the car, what would you recommend that's effective and safe based on your experience?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Harry!....You are definitly on the right track....And you actually want to achieve a small high spot with the touch-up paint you are applying....After applying the paint, let it dry completely....Once this has been done, you will obviously need to level these areas out....To do this, I would recommend taking the smallest rubber Autobody sanding block that you can find, or you can simply take a piece plywood, and cut which ever is available, into about a 1 to 1 1/2 inch square....After this is done, pick up some 2000 or 2500 grit wet and dry sandpaper, cut it to size, and just wrap it around your homemade sanding block....Next, fill up a small container with water....Dip your sanding block in the water, and let it soak for a few minutes....You are now ready to start sanding and leveling the high spots....Keep the area wet, and sand in a back and forth motion...No circles....Try not to use too much pressure....Once you are satisfied with your job, dry off the areas....You will then need to use a finishing polish to complete your repair....3M is the one I prefer....You can pick up the sandpaper and polish at any local Autobody supply shop, or possibly at an Autoparts store....Using an electric polisher will give you the best and fastest results, but if one is not available, you can do it by hand, it will just take a little more effort....Hope this helps you out....Drop me another line if you have any more questions or concerns....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dave Norgardt


Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....


Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Awards and Honors
Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton

©2017 All rights reserved.