Auto body repair & detailing/jack tube retaining rings

I have a 08 Silverado Z71 1/2 ton long bed. i'm replacing the rear bumper reinforcement bar. I cut of the retaining rings to take off the jack tube ( I call it ) bought new ones. for the life of me cannot figure how the new ones are installed. I know how the case ring goes in. but the retaining ring has to be behind the four keepers ( I call them ). is there a trick or do you have to have a special tool. I went through prev ans. back to 08 could find nothing. didn't think I would. gm what a deal. thanking you in advance.          chuck

p.s.part nos.

Hi Chuck!....I totally understand your dilemma. What I usually do, (as I need to save everything due to insurance costs), is to actually bend everyone of the tangs individually using a scratch awl or cotter pin remover to release the tube from the retainer. Since you have cut the retaining rings and already have the tube out, install the retainer with the 4 tabs that wrap around the bumper tube opening, then install the retainer ring. Last of all, grease up the tube around where the tangs sit in the groove, and snap it into place....Hope this helps you out. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to write me back....Thanks....Dave  

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt

Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....

Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton