Auto body repair & detailing/Repair bad paint job

Question
We had this fellow to repair some places on our truck. He said he could clear coat the whole truck, make it look brand new. Horrors, he mixed the clear coat with paint, It is terrible. My husband just brought the truck home. What needs to be done? Wet sand and reclear coat. They tried buffing it, But that does not help the looks. Thanks a million Ann

Answer
Hi Ann!....Sorry to hear what had happened. This guy started off on the right track, offering to clear coat the complete vehicle after spot repairs were done, but when he mixed the base coat and clear coat together, there is no logical reason to do this. Two scenarios come to mind though. First, either he sanded through too far on a lot of places on the vehicle, and decided to " Paint " the complete vehicle, to avoid color differences with too many spot repairs, or second, he tried to speed up the process, by mixing the clear with the basecoat, thus turning a 2 stage paint, into a single stage paint. Or possibly both scenarios combined. To repair this properly, I would suggest sanding the complete vehicle down with 400 grit sandpaper on a 6 inch D/A orbital air sander. I obviously can't see what kind of unfortunate mess this guy made, so this is why I am suggesting this route. This way, you will be able flatten any orange peel, runs, dry spray, etc. without digging in to far into the existing paint. The result, if done properly by holding the sander FLAT, will be a proper substrate or " Base ", in which to re-apply the paint. If you would like to go with a base/clear paint, please make sure it is done with a minimum of 2 coats of base ( Color ), and a minimum of 2 coats of clear. Hope I have helped you out. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to write back....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt