Auto body repair & detailing/roof removal 1987 bmw 325

Question
I recently purchased a 87 bmw 325 m3  that had been rolled...serious damage to the top and window frames. There is no other damage to the rest of the car. I would like to cut the top off  and make  a roadster. Are there structural concerns i need to be aware of?   Does  any other part of the body need to be reinforced? Any suggestions  are appreciated....thanks.

Answer
Hi Joe!... First off, I would recommend that you check with your local State registration office, to see if this vehicle can be legally repaired, re-insured, and re-registered. If it is flagged as a salvage vehicle, generally it means that it can only be used as a parts vehicle. If it has been given the OK for repair, you have some options. As far as making it into a roadster, this is a definite undertaking. Before doing any work, I would also recommend that you check with your insurance company, and especially BMW itself, as most car manufacturers have a tech line, to see if modifications on this vehicle are acceptable, or available, in regards to converting a sedan into a roadster, thus being repaired safely, and being able to be re-insured. As safety is of the utmost importance. If a conversion is not recommended from BMW, I can help you out as to how to replace a factory roof, pillars, etc. I hope I have helped you out. If you have any further questions, please feel free to drop me another line...Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt