Auto body repair & detailing/Unautorized painting

Question
Hello
I had an appraisal for front bumper on 2005 grand Cherokee  it was 7.2 hours 5 days later I get a call from body shop they made a mistake and painted both front fenders and bumper  now looks terrible doesn't match the rest of paint job . I'm wondering if I can take them to court for unauthorized paint work not match rest of vehicle and get them to paint entire vehicle  
Thanks Dennis

Answer
Hi Dennis!....Generally speaking, when just a bumper needs repairing/refinishing, there should be no need to refinish the fenders. In the shop I work at, I can't honestly remember a time when we had to blend/paint the fenders for a bumper refinish, just to match the fenders.  The only reason that I can think of for this to happen, is that the color match on the bumper was so bad, that they decided to try and blend into the fenders to make the color match less noticable. What should have been done, in my opinion, is the painter should have re-tinted the paint, and re-sprayed the bumper only, until the color match was the proper color. No matter how many times it took. Plastic bumper covers, and metal panels, will show up differently in color, even if sprayed at the same time. This is a problem the painter has to deal with. Plain and simple. Something you definitly should not have to pay extra for. What I would do, is to first talk to them, and get them to re-spray the fenders and bumper to the proper color, and to your satisfaction. If they are a reputable buisness, and have qualified technicians, there should be no problem with them agreeing to this. If you are still not satisfied with the result, then I would talk to the owner of the buisness, and see if they have any solution to your satisfaction. If after that, you are still not satisfied, then maybe that would be the time to check with a lawyer. Hope I have helped you out. If you have any further questions or concerns, please drop me another line....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt