Auto body repair & detailing/bmw 1987 325is

Question
Hi,cannot identify or determin how to remove the following in order to repair rust behind the item.Location is roof exterior at the c pillar.There is a metal faring painted same as roof that attaches to c pillar just behind the rear passenger window.The fairing has 4 or 4 stud that enter the c pillar(they do not appear to be threaded). This faring does not show on the BMW parts breakdown for the roof(only shows 4 door & convertible).Question,does the faring pop in or attached with nuts from inside car.    thanks

Answer
Hi David!....In all honesty, I have not removed this particular type of applique on your make and model of BMW before. That being said, what I do in circumstances such as this, when I am not sure of how an exterior piece is installed, ( or any piece for that matter ), would be to gain access to the back side of it. In this case, it would be to take the interior C pillar trim off. You had mentioned that the studs do not appear to be threaded, but I have seen cases where a stud is not threaded at the head, as it just passes through certain distances, but has been threaded further on down and has an attached nut. In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry. I have included a link below to a BMW website, that has a question and answer forum to which you can ask questions to BMW Techs. Hopefully they can help you out further. If you have any questions regarding how to repair the rust, please do not hesitate to write me back...Thanks....Dave

Here is the link:   www.ehow.com/about_6383770_bmw-tech-information.html

Cached page

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt