Auto body repair & detailing/Car Emblem

Question
Hi Dave,

The Accord emblem came off my Honda. It's located on the trunk area directly on the painted surface. I noticed none of the paint came off with it which is nice and the old adhesive appears to be a black spongy type stuff. The emblem itself appears to be made of plastic and then chrome over the plastic like the old model cars.

Do you know what should be used to reattach it without affecting the painted surface should it ever need to come off? I've read the 3M emblem glue isn't a good choice.

Thanks for your efforts.

Harry

Answer
Hi Harry!....I would not recommend using any type of glue to install any mouldings or nameplates. A glue will bite into the painted surface, and if ever you would like to remove the nameplates and leave them off, by the time you have removed the glue, the painted surface will be damaged. This is why manufacturers today use a tape. In my opinion, 3M does make a great tape, as this is generally what the factory mouldings and nameplates come with, but it is expensive. Another option for a good tape, is from a company called Proform. It does just as good of a job, and is far less expensive. You should be able to pick either one of these at your local Autobody/Parts supply store. You will also need to pick up a can of "Moulding Adhesion Promoter". To reinstall the nameplate, you will need to obviously clean off the existing tape residue on the body and the nameplate completely. This can be done by using a carmel eraser wheel, or by using a solvent such as gunwash or paint thinner. If using the gunwash or thinner, please be careful as to not let the solvent soak too long, as it will dull the finish of the painted surface. Once the tape residue has been removed, follow the directions on the can of adhesion promoter, and re-tape the nameplate. Next, wipe the body down with an alcohol cleaner, and you are now ready to apply the nameplate....Hope I have answered your question....If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to write me back....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt