Auto body repair & detailing/Leaving a car outside -

Hi Dave -

I'm about to move from a condo with garage to condo without garage.  My car will be left outside, rain or shine, all year long.  Just wondering how damaging this will be -  if at all.  I notice that lots of people live without a garage and they seem to survive.  Your thoughts please (I live in Western NY - climate similar to Southern Ontario).  Thanks.

Hi Mark!....No problem about leaving your vehicle outside. I have 3 vehicles, and they are all outside as well. The key is to make sure that you keep your vehicle clean on a regular basis. Wash them when needed, using a quality car soap, and definitely NOT dish soap. Dish soap is far too harsh. Also, apply a quality wax at least 2 times a year, whether they are parked for the long term, or being driven daily. This will help seal out any unwanted residue, and make it easier to wash them off. The 2 Stage Paint of Base/Clear that is generally used in today's market, has a UV protection built in. It protects against the sun's rays from fading the Base Coat, or color coat. That being said, it will only protect for as long as the chemical composition allows it to. So a coat of quality wax, will help protect longer. If you encounter tree sap on your vehicle, you can simply remove this by using Methyl Hydrate. But be careful, as using to much, can dull the finish. Another option, is to purchase a car cover...Hope I have helped you out...If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to drop me a line....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt

Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....

Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton