Auto body repair & detailing/Residue on car paint removal

Hi Bob,
I have a rav4, 2013.  It has a spot on it with some type of residue, I thought it might be sap, but I am not sure.  Anyway I tried to get it off with cold water and dishwasher soap, no effect.  Tried WD40 also no effect.  The spot is also rough to the touch.  Thoughts?

Wow! You ask a lot of me without seeing the spot. I can only venture a guess.

If it is pine sap, rubbing alcohol will remove it from the paint. If it has been there too long it might have damaged the paint. (The spot would be rough to the touch if it has been on too long)

Take a soft towel/rag and soak it with the alcohol. Rub gently, letting the alcohol soften the spot. Keep the rag wet as you rub to avoid scratching. Once the sap is removed you can wax over it to replace what was removed by the alcohol.  

Auto body repair & detailing

Most questions pertaining to Automotive and Motorcyle Cleaning & Detailing. Please DO NOT SEND ME QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO PAINTING, BODY WORK, DENTS, DINGS, REPLACING PANELS....ETC.

I have operated a stand alone detail center for 30 plus years

Professional Detailers Association

Auto Laundry Magaazine Carwash & Detail Magazine Old Cars News

College credits in law, business, public speaking & instruction.

Ardex ClearCoat polishing course Best of the Best Auto Detailing Central Jersey