Auto body repair & detailing/Residue on car paint removal

Question
Hi Bob,
I have a rav4, 2013.  It has a spot on it with some type of residue, I thought it might be sap, but I am not sure.  Anyway I tried to get it off with cold water and dishwasher soap, no effect.  Tried WD40 also no effect.  The spot is also rough to the touch.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

Answer
Tom,

Wow! You ask a lot of me without seeing the spot. I can only venture a guess.

If it is pine sap, rubbing alcohol will remove it from the paint. If it has been there too long it might have damaged the paint. (The spot would be rough to the touch if it has been on too long)

Take a soft towel/rag and soak it with the alcohol. Rub gently, letting the alcohol soften the spot. Keep the rag wet as you rub to avoid scratching. Once the sap is removed you can wax over it to replace what was removed by the alcohol.  

Auto body repair & detailing

Bob