Auto body repair & detailing/Residue on door removal

Question
Hi Dave,
I have a rav4, 2013.  It has a spot on it with some type of residue, I thought it might be sap, but I am not sure.  Anyway I tried to get it off with cold water and dishwasher soap, no effect.  Tried WD40 also no effect.  The spot is also rough to the touch.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

Answer
Hi Tom!....If the residue is indeed tree sap, you can safely use Methyl Hydrate. Just be sure not to let it soak in too long, as it will dull the Clear Coat. If by chance it does dull the finish, this can remedied by simply using a quality polish. 3M makes a great product. If you have no success with the Methyl Hydrate, the next step would be to try using a solvent such as paint reducer or gunwash. The same applies as to not let is soak in too long, and for polishing. As a last resort, you can also try wet sanding the spot using 1200 or 1500 sandpaper on a sanding block. Once this is done, you will definitely need to apply a polish. Please be sure not to sand too hard, or too far down, as you will break through the Clear Coat, resulting in needing to get the panel refinished professionally. Another option, is to drop by your local Automotive Detail Shop, and see if they have any other chemicals that you could try....Hope I have helped you out....Please drop me a line if you have any other questions....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt