Auto body repair & detailing/Residue removal on car door

I have a rav4, 2013.  It has a spot on it with some type of residue, I thought it might be sap, but I am not sure.  Anyway I tried to get it off with cold water and dishwasher soap, no effect.  Tried WD40 also no effect.  The spot is also rough to the touch.  Thoughts?

Hi Tom,

Generally, contaminants are either waterbased or solvent based in nature. So if you have tried soap and water and there was no change you will need to try some type of solvent. I would recommend using a grease and wax remover or an adhesive remover.  Try something like one of the following:

Klean Strip Prep-All Wax & Grease Remover:
3M 08987 General Purpose Adhesive Remover:

If these won't remove it then most likely it will need sanded off.

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.