Auto body repair & detailing/dent in quarter panel

Question
Dave, I have a 1995 Camaro that is in pristine condition. The vehicle has 79,000 original miles on it. Some clown backed into it in a parking lot and now I have a dent in the passenger side quarter panel right where it meets the front bumper. I believe I can push the dent out, my issue is that I can not access it any simple way. I am at the point now of removing the front bumper and "popping the dent out. Is there an easier way?

Answer
Hi Dan!....If there is limited or no access to the backside of the panel, I would then suggest you to try using a suction cup for this. You should be able to pick one up relatively cheap at your local Autobody/Autoparts retail outlet.  As long as the dent is on a flat surface, and has not breached any body lines, you should have a  pretty good result with this method. Please remember, that once a dent has occurred, the dent is obviously the low spot, but the circumference surrounding it will be higher than that of the existing sheet metal. To remedy this situation, you will need to lightly tap down the circumference at the same time you are pulling on the suction cup. So as not to damage the paint, I would also recommend using a cloth covered wide faced hammer for this step. Light hits on this area is the key to a better result.....Hope this helps you out. Please drop me a line if I can help you out further....Thanks....Dave.

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt