Auto body repair & detailing/Query.

Question
Wanted to find out what type(s) of paint would give me finish as described below.
In my city there is a trucking company that has a fleet of trucks that always look clean and shiny. I think that the trucks are painted with a special paint. Even if the trucks are dirty, the trucks shine and look clean (probably due to the paint finish). Trucks always look shiny / new even though they are old trucks.
What types of paints, coatings additives etc. can give a fleet of trucks such a finish that lasts a long time.

Answer
Hi Sam!....Years ago, most, (if not all) major semi-truck manufacturers used a paint called "Imron"....It was highly durable, but highly deadly in time, if the painter did not use the proper safety equipment when spraying it. I honestly don't know if it is even available anymore. If it is still available, I would not recommend using it. With paint technology advancing rapidly in today's automotive market, what we now use is a water or "Aqua" based paint. The reason is due to less VOC's (Volatile Organic Compound) emitted when spraying. It is also much safer. In regard to water based paint, in a Base/Clear application, the color coat will be water based, but the clear coat is still solvent based. So there is still a way to go in this area....In regards as to what gives a paint finish lasting a long time, pretty much comes down to the quality of paint, proper use of primers, sealers, and proper flash times between coats......Hope I have answered your question Sam....If there is anything I have missed, please drop me another line anytime....Thanks for your question....Dave.

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt