Auto body repair & detailing/rocker replacement


I have a 1949 ford coupe I need to replace the front floor boards and rocker panels.  I have the new parts but the information they came with for install is sketchy at best. Where can I get detailed information on this project?

Hi Ron!....I can actually help you out. What you will need to do first in regards to replacing the floor pans, is to remove all of the seam sealer the factory installed, to expose the factory spot welds. You can simply use a wire wheel on a drill, air or electric, which ever you have access to. They both will work well. Once this is done, take a center punch, and indent each spot weld. Next, drill a 1/8" pilot hole completely through each spot weld. You will then need to drill out each spot weld, using a spot weld cutter. Spot weld cutters are available at most Autobody/Parts retail outlets. The size you will need, is 3/8". When drilling out the existing spot weld, take care to ensure you only drill through the top panel that needs replacing. That way, you will have a backing when welding in the new panel. Once this has been done, the panel should be able to be removed. After this has been completed, grind the floorboard flanges down to bare metal, and spray them with a weld through primer. (Also available at Autobody/Parts stores) The next step, is to drill out the new floor panel with a 5/16-3/8 hole corresponding to the position of the original spot welds, or as close as possible. Grind away the existing E-coat around each hole, to ensure the least amount of spatter when welding. Position the new panel into place, and using a MIG welder with ES70-6 .023-.025 wire, plug weld each hole you have drilled. Once this has been done, simply dress the welds, using a grinder with a 50 grit disc. Make sure to leave what is referred to as a "Button" on the weld. It is not recommended to grind down any weld completely flat, unless it interferes with installation. Last of all, simply coat the welds with a rust inhibiting compound/undercoating, and be sure to seam seal up the flanges to ensure water will not penetrate....In regards to the rocker panels, the exact same will apply if you are doing a complete rocker replacement. If you are doing a partial rocker replacement, it will require a method that is referred to as "Sectioning". I can help you out with that as well.....Hope this help you out.....Please drop me a line anytime, if there is anything else I can help you out with....Thanks....Dave.

Auto body repair & detailing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dave Norgardt


Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....


Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Awards and Honors
Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton

©2017 All rights reserved.