Auto body repair & detailing/fender removal

Question
I have a 1946 Plymouth Deluxe and need to remove the front fenders. Any ideas?

Answer
Hi Leo!....Fortunately throughout my 30 or so years in the Autobody Trade, I have had the opportunity to work on a lot of these classic cars doing restorations. Removing a fender on your 46 Plymouth, is actually very similar to removing a fender on the later model vehicles. That being said, first off, you will need to open the hood and front door fully. The hood hinges are usually attached to the fenders themselves on these early models, so you will need to completely remove the hood. From the hood opening, you should be able to see the attaching bolts along the inside edge of the fender. Next, check along the firewall, as some models are bolted there as well. At the front end, you will need to remove the bolts attaching the fender to the header panel/rad support. In some vehicle models, you might even need to remove the headlights, as I have seen a few fenders being bolted through this opening also. At the back of the fender/door opening, there is usually a bolt at the top connected to the "A" pillar, and 1 or 2 at the very bottom. From the wheel opening itself, depending on whether the inner fender is welded or bolted, if you find bolts, simply remove them as well. The bolt head size will be either 1/2 or 9/16, so a set of standard size sockets and wrenches should be all you need. Please remember, that these are general guidelines. Hope this helps you out....If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me another line anytime....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt