Auto body repair & detailing/scuff removed from clear coat

Hi Gary, thanks for bein available.  I have a 2002 Monte Carlo.  Someone bumped into me & left some big scuff marks on my quarterpanel, & a slight crease.  I used rubbing compound by hand to remove the scuffs, but it took off the shine.  It is real dull.  I understand my car has a clear coat.  I didnít rub too much Ė just to get the scuffs out, so I donít think I removed the clear coat.  Before I try anything else, I thought Iíd ask an expert.  What should I do next to restore the shine in that area?

Hi Greg,

You will need to use a finer grade compound to remove the scratch then proceed to a polishing glaze. A course compound will scratch the surface and will leave it dull and it must be polished finer and finer with progressively finer polishes.  

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.