Auto body repair & detailing/Vinyl top repair

Question
The vinyl top on my car is pulling away from the moulding at the windshield in afew spots. Can this be repaired? One shop told me that a new top was the only solution.

Answer
Hi Erin!....In regards to your situation, it honestly depends on how far the vinyl has shrunk or pulled away, therefore, the distance that it needs to be re-attached properly underneath the windshield moulding. As with most plastics, including vinyl, they can and often do shrink over time. The determining factors are climate, humidity, and heat. To replace it versus repairing it, is a judgement call. This also depends on the experience of the Technician. Again, depending on distance, it is possible, to apply a controlled heat to the vinyl to stretch it back into position. I would recommend that you take your vehicle to a local upholstery shop if one is in your area, or take it to another shop for a second opinion. You can also send me a picture if possible, so that I can give you my opinion. Hope this helps you out, or at least gives you some direction....If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to write back....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt