Auto body repair & detailing/rust holes



I have a 2002 Hyuandai Santa Fe that has two small rust holes on the quarter panels above both rear wheel wells; one hole on each side of the vehicle.

The holes are oval shaped, about a half inch by an inch.  The metal lip above the wheel well is fully intact, but the holes are each directly above the lip, so there is about one half inch metal between the edge of the quarter panel and the hole.

I am pretty good with home repairs, but I'd prefer to avoid doing body work with Bondo.  I watched a couple how-to videos and while I could do it, I doubt it would look great.

I had an idea:  covering the hole with rust converter or reformer to stop the rust from spreading.  Adding some paint over it.  Then covering the small holes with some kind of decorative molding with adhesive.

My question is...if I do this, do you think the rust hole will continue to spread, or will it likely stop?  Thank you!

Hi Scott!....In all honesty, the only way to stop rust from spreading, is to cut it out completely. Although I understand you prefer to avoid using body fillers, what you can do in your situation, is to cut out the rust, and actually "Glue" a patch in. No welding is obviously required, and would be an excellent solution for a small area, as the glue will act as a sealant as well. The "Norton" and "3M" Companies both have excellent products designed exactly for adhesive/glue bonding repair. After you have followed the directions on the label, and the adhesive is cured, you should then apply a zinc rich primer for corrosion protection. After that, you have the option of covering it up as you mentioned. It will also give you the option of trying your hand at doing filler work in the future, as this type of repair will last much longer than any type of rust converter repair will. If you decide to try doing filler work in the future, I can guide you through every step......Hope this helps you out....If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to drop me a line anytime....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dave Norgardt


Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....


Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Awards and Honors
Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]