You are here:

Auto body repair & detailing/Material to fill a dent


Hi Gary,
I have a dent in the rear surface of a fender, just above the tail light assembly (the light assembly has been replaced from a wrecking yard donor car) where it was ran into a lamp post. It is pushed in deepiy but symmetrically but there is also no simple access to partially pound it back out. Is there a material which I can use to fill in the indentation in several steps? The car is an '89 Chrysler LeBaron coupe.
Thanks for your expert opinion.

Hi Roland,

It depends on how deep the dent is. If it's a 1/4" or less you can use a good quality body filler and fill the dent. If it's more than a 1/4" you will need to pull the dent. A body shop will use what's called a stud welder to weld pulling pins in the dent's lowest points then attach a slide hammer to pull out the dent to just below surface level then fill will body filler.

Auto body repair & detailing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.


I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.

©2017 All rights reserved.